How many times a season do you mulch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by The Cutting Edge, Apr 13, 2007.

1. The Cutting Edge

The Cutting Edge LawnSite Member

need to know how many times in a season you guys mulch beds?

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

once,

in Texas ya have to watch for termites

3. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

why would you need to mulch beds more then once a season? most of my clients want it done every other season...

4. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

All standard full maintenance accounts get mulch applied one time per season,
    some com. accounts get a topdressing after shrub maintenance.:)

5. joshlawn

joshlawn LawnSite Member

It's supposed to be applied twice a year here, but most only want it applied once.

6. xtrim

xtrim LawnSite Member

Once per season, I don't see the need to have it done more. The reason re-mulching is needed seasonally is because it decomposes.

I've had a customer who I had to mulch 3 times within a year. He contracted this lil kid who ran his business from the trunk of his car. He kept blowing the mulch off every time. The customer thought he had a deal @ just $15 per mow, but I told him that it will just be cheaper in the long run to have it done professionally, cuz he would save on all the landscaping that the kid was messing up. He finally switched to me... mulch still looks nice, and its almost a year.

7. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Prefer Twice.....Spring hedging, clean up, mulch.....

Top Dressing in the Fall (mainly for looks).

8. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

2 times for comercial accounts and most residential accounts. Every once in a while only 1 time a year will be requested.

9. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

we mulch i nthe early spring after all clean ups are done and then cultivate the mulch beds in sept.

10. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I will do it in the spring and would like to do it again later in the year but that is a hard sell.:waving: