How many times? Can it be a nighmare for you?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Nov 19, 2007.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I am new to the biz , thanks to those that answered my other posts. This question is in regards to a full program. I am wondering some people say they will go back at no additional charge for broad leaf applications at no additional charge. How many times will you go back to spot treat in between applications. I can only imagine that there has to be nightmare customers that can find once clover in the whole yard and want you to come back.

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I go back until they're gone. Just make sure you have the right product for the job.

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto. We use Chaser (ester) from UAP on lawns with clover (2,4-D + Triclopyr). Triclopyr is the key for clover. Clover is one of those weeds that can pop up throughout the year until weed pressure dwindles down.:usflag:

QUOTE=Shades of Green LService;2038919]I go back until they're gone. Just make sure you have the right product for the job.[/QUOTE]

4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone has those PIA customers who call about one weed, but, hey, that's what we're there for, right? I guarantee my weed control, as do probably more than 99% of LCO's. If you have a sound program with the right timing and quality products and workmanship this is a very small "extra" to put out there. My best personal story about this is the guy who would call about weeds in his 15,000 sq ft. lawn. I'd go out there and literally couldn't find a single weed. Finally after about a year and a half of this I cornered him and said "I want you to take me by the hand and show me these weeds, 'cause I sure am having a hard time finding them." He says "Oh, I can't stand to see them, so I pull 'em out, then call you." After a long conversation about how broadleaf weed control works, the calls dried up. Go figure!

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I think it is important for us to train our customers that we don't always get a 100% control, and that is ok.

If they have a weed or two they need to pull them or call us and we can.

I guarantee my apps, but I also tell my customers that it is close to impossible to kill EVERY weed. I tell them that weeds are kinda like people and there are a bunch of different personalities. Not all weeds react the same.

I have very few call backs, but I have had customers make comments about having weeds in their lawn while I am making their app six or eight weeks after my last app (duh, that is why I am there).
    I just tell them that I can't keep weeds from emerging (broadleaves)...but it is my job to take them out after they do!

6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

thanks guys, it was a great help any other advise to a newbie in chem apps w/ be appreciated.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

When I get these requests, I try to comply. But I also offer the disclaimer that:

"As long as you keep your lawn outside, you're gonna get weeds. Complete eradication isn't an option - that's why I come out every 5-6 weeks."

This seems to do a good job of giving perspective. Didn't have any of these individuals this year.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Thats great! Care if I use it?

9. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

As has been mentioned, I've found that setting the customers up with the right expectations from the get-go is the most important step in dealing with those problems.

But when you do have to have to retreat, unless it's an 'A' customer I don't immediately jump in the truck and go treat it unless it's convenient and works into my schedule. I tell them I'll retreat "when I'm in the area" or maybe give them an actual day if it's a week or two out. That greatly reduces the headache and cost on your end and if you can get out within a week or so that's good service. Delaying a few days allows you to plan a route close to that customer.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

By all means. :)