1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how many times can you sell the same yard of mulch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 18, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

today we did, amoung other things, some small bed work. 3 small beds at 3 different clients, we weeded, re edged, trimmed shrubbery, and put in new mulch. each bed required about a 1/3 of a yard refresher layer. but, we have a one yard minimum. so, i purchased one yard, and split it between all 3 clients, but charged each client for a full yard. so my $16 purchase brought in $195 (i charge $65 per yd) . is this dishonest? i almost felt guilty, mind you I SAID ALMOST! but i got over it real quick. is this dishonest?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If it were me BG, I wouldn't have any problem sleeping tonight.
  3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I do it all the time, I love it when it works out that way
  4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here...
  5. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

actually, if you take into consideration labour, time spent driving around to three different places, fuel consumption and then paying yourself,, you actually didn't make out too great.. jmo..
  6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I think its fine to do that. I put out red mulch at several props and what ever is left goes in my yard, I see no problem with that.
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Bobby will correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood his post to mean that the $195 was what he took in JUST for the mulch.

This doesn't include whatever he charged for weeding, re- edging, and shrub trimming.
  8. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Companies do this all the time. We used to have some friends that lived on a lake several miles from a city, they would have Sears come out to do repairs on appliances. Sears would charge milage for the trip like $50, but they would schedule the repairs for the area, and then charge each and every customer the milage charge just like they were the only cutomer.
  9. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

You can make some good money with mulch. I would put the money in my new Exmark fund:D
  10. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

i have never done a mulch job that small but im pretty sure every lawn man rounds up his yard count!