How many times can you sharpen Fusion Blades before throwing them away??

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by user5953, May 6, 2008.

1. user5953

user5953 LawnSite Member

I'm wondering how many "Blade Sharpenings" you can get out of a set of Fusion Blades before they are no good? I'm averaging about 2 sharpenings.

Also what is the best way to sharpen Fusion Blades?
    w/ a electric BENCH GRINDER or by hand with a FILE tool?

I've heard some people say that a bench grinder heats up the steel too much and will make the blade go dull faster??

Others swear by HAND FILING a lawnmower blade. Whats the best HAND FILING tool out there?

I've seen some lawnmower blade "sharpening machines" that cost big money.......
    I wonder if they are better than a plain old Electric bench grinder?? does anyone have one or tried one?
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

How long between those 2 sharpenings?
    Are you cutting in sandy soil conditions?
    As to sharpening them, keeping the correct angle is very important along with not grinding to much off.
    It is also very important to not over heat the blade when sharpening, this takes the temper out of the blade and it is never the same again.
    The dedicated blade sharpeners are expensive, but they are worth it.

3. user5953

user5953 LawnSite Member

When I get a NEW set of Fusion blades. The first time they need sharpened is always the longest period.

After I sharpen the blades the first time they seem to last about HALF that time and then they are ready to be sharpened again.

I used to use a Bench Grinder, but switched to using a HAND FILE. I don't notice MUCH of a difference in the "stays sharp" time compared to when I sharpen with a Bench grinder.
    However, I do have more control...which keeps me from grinding too much off the blade when using a motorized bench grinder.

Can you recommend a GOOD QUALITY Blade Sharpening machine (that doesn't cost an ARM and a LEG)
  4. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to cut in very sandy soil and I need to sharpen my blades after every cut on that account (2.5 hours).
    The first three inches of the blades are so dull that it takes me about 15 minutes per blade to sharpen them with a belt sander if I want to keep the proper angle (lots of metal to remove).
    I know buy regular Oregon blades for $6.25 a piece and trash them after three or four sharpening (if that).
    Dedicated blade sharpeners are good (Magna-Matic, RGB, etc...) but expensive to buy as wheel as to maintain ($80.00 for a grinding wheel) and can burn your blades pretty fast unless you quench them in water often during sharpening.
    Here is a link to a tread where I posted pictures of my sharpening rig:
  5. la200o

la200o LawnSite Member

Is there a dedicated sharpener you'd recommend?
  6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

It really sounds like you may be getting them to hot and taking the temper out of them when you are sharpening them.
    As far as a recommendation of a sharpener, there are many good ones, but best bang for the lower priced units would be a Oregon unit, they are very similar to the expensive ones, but with a good price for someone in your situation that is just sharpening your own blades.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Oregon, Magna-Matic, RBG and Fireball are all good quality units, just depends on how much you want to / can spend.
    With the top end units being Magna-Matic and the Fireball, they are 2 different style units and are considered to be the best in the industry.