How many times have you been stung?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdb landscaping, Jul 7, 2003.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

well, I have been stung two days in a row now! Got stung on my arm the other day, and today while pruning a small dogwood, got stung right on the forehead!!! boy did it hurt..... so my question is, how many times have you been stung so far this year?
  2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

I usually get stung 1-2 times a year....

Last year I got stung aprox 38 times at once when I tapped a stone & stirred up thoes mudders. Found a bee still in my hair over an hr. later. As a result I've added a sting kit to my first aid kit.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Got stung last week on the back of my calf.
    I couldn't find a stinger, and it swelled up bad. For three days I had a big red bump the size of a orange on the back of my leg.
    Then on the 4th day, it started to itch. I didn't put anything on it because I didn't know what to use.
    Hopefully this will be the last sting of the season.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

none this year or last, so far *knock on wood*
    before that though i got stung by 6 at one time when i ran over their nest with the mower. That was a very painful afternoon.
  5. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Twice this year, both times the nest was in a cedar hedge I was trimming. I'm much more cautious now and look over the hedge real good before I start to make sure there is no nest. I am allergic to certain bees, but haven't reacted too bad to the last two stings so I was lucky. I have some stuff called "sting stop". Its in a vial that you crack the glass and apply it to the sting. It works real good. We try to keep a couple in the trucks just in case of a sting.
  6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have only been stung about a dozen times or so, in my 5 yrs in business. As far as mosquitos, biting flies, and fire ants, many, many more times than I can count. Thank God so far, no allergic reactions. Yes, I do wear repellent and they still manage to get to me, little peckerheads. LOL
  7. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

A guy I work with found a tick on his belly a couple of days ago, pulled him off and noticed today a red spot about the size of a slilver dollar that looked like a bulls eye. He went to the doctors and was told it is lyme diease. Just a remider of what to look foir because this can be very serious if left untreated.
  8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I got stung 3 times the other day on my forearm. It is funny that I did not notice until I got home. I still had one stinger in my arm. They still itch after a week.
  9. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Several years ago I was mowing a cemetery and ran over a nest, ended up getting stung over 100 times by yellow jackets... Wasn't a good time!!!!:)
  10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

About five times this year by wasps. If you do much pruning down here in SW FL then you are gonna get bit as they build those nests in the bushes.