How many times????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

For the record, we all talk about what machine cuts better. IMO, any good WB, rider, whatever, cuts fine if the lawn is mowed when it's need. However, it seems with all the talk about clumping and grass dispersion, most of us aren’t cutting the lawn at the right time. So, how many guys are cutting the lawn when it should be cut????
  2. Unfortunately we run a 7 day schedule, many lawns in that time need it 4-5 days not the full 7.

So I must deal with it and have to cut some twice to disperse clippings.

But with me controlling the food, I can keep the double cutting and excess clippings to a minimum.

Good thread Pete....
  3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Every 7 days
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Hard to cut more than once a week this past spring when we were getting rain every 2 days. Those conditions only last a while, though. If you are still having problems, you should be talking to the client about upping the cuttings.

What makes me mad is taking a lawn that turns out to be a huge hassel that needs it multiple times a week that you didn't schedule for and puts a burden on your schedule later in the year.
  5. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

7 days, hard to get them to agree to more often.payup
  6. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Same as Mower_Babe. A few accounts only want it mowed on certain days while in truth they should be mowed every 5 days.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we try to have all people that have irrigation systems to have it mowed twice a week. About 30 to 40% of them agree to it. While others don't want to spend the extra money.
  8. When it grows to 4" I cut it to 3".

A lot of my customers have huge lawns. I just quoted a 6 acre residential lawn yesterday.

They're not going to pay for a mowing they don't need.

On the other hand, I can't get behind on something that size either. There ain't no way to rake acres of grass. Even double cutting gets prohibitive.
    I just keep up. Springtime is really hectic. Long hours 7 days a week.
    I just bought $400 worth of Gore-tex from an Army surplus store for me and my son to wear next spring when the weather gets real nasty.

We always mow, rain or snow, we keep it mowed.

Everybody finally graduated from a 5 day to a 7 day schedule. (Except for one on a 14 day schedule because her lawn is so poor.)
    In lots of past years, by this time of year they're looking at 10 day or greater schedule.
    But this year is so wet with mild temperatures, the grass keeps growing.

It's going to be a GREAT year.

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

To be honest about it, I stayed with 7 days for about 70% of the accounts because they complained if I came every 4 days when it needed it...but I won't do 7 days if we get into that ridiculous growth pattern again or next spring. Every contract will be revised to clearly spell out that we will NOT be waiting 7 days when in a period of fast growth. If Joe Customer objects to this I won't renew that customer. Every one of my neighbors was mowing every 4 to 5 days for 3 straight months. I use them as an example wherein they all know they will have a mess on their hands if they waited 7 days. years contract renewals will clearly spell out that it will be mowed when it needs it. I still don't see why some of us think we should take the loss in periods of prolonged, excessive growth. And no, we don't mow every 7 days when the grass slows down or goes dormant...again, we mow when it needs it therefore it cuts both ways least in my humble opinion.
  10. harpoonalt

harpoonalt LawnSite Member

Since I'm part-time, I estimated the total # of cuts for the year and gave 3 out of 4 of my accounts a seasonal price payable over 6 months. I mowed every 4-5 days early on and am now at 7-10 days with the grass slowing down. It looks like it may work out well for me and I mow when I want to. The customers like paying a set amount every month and I like the flexibility. It must be hell to mow on a 7 day cycle early in the year, especially if they fertilize with one of those lawn crack companies. Anyone else mow this way?