1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HOW MANY tire slime.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by woodbutcher44, Apr 21, 2008.

1. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

I have a small apartment account an someone there is a roofer. Last Friday I serviced that account and when done I had 9 nails in one tire and 6 in another.
    I never used the tire junk before but when I left to go get 2 tires this morning they still had air in them.
    My question is how long does this stuff work?
    Should I go ahead and mount the new tires or will the green stuff last a while .
    Thing are tight and the damaged tires have lots or tread left.
    Any one else picked up as many nails in one day or location
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I love Slime for mower tires. I've had several instances where I've gotten nails in the tires and when I pull them out to plug the hole, usually a little green stuff oozes out and then the leak stops.

Well worth it if you can.
  3. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I also love that product...the last tire problem I had thought it didn't seem to work very well. I'm not sure if it has to to with the size of the hole.
  4. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

it will last forever till you get another hole its cool stuff
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

It will last a very long time. Your tires will be worn out by that time.
  6. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Tire Slime = Awesome product
    I have it in all of my tires and have had more then my fare share of nails & screws poking out of my tires, you can either leave in whats punchured the tire and let the slime do the work or like i do pull the nails out with a pair of plyers and plug the hole with a plug kit and pump them back up and let the slime do the rest. I would never do this line of work without tire slime.:nono:
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I used to be ignorant about the slime until I finally got tired of slow leaks that cant be traced and the constant plugging of my tires. So I purchased a big bottle of the stuff and filled all four tires about this time last year . . . havent had to plug a tire since just pull the nails out and the tire fixes itself. I need to replace my tires soon though and apparantly it can be a nasty task dealing with the slime on the rims but its worth it.
  8. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

THANKS GUYS Im going to run them the front tires are never flats with foam so no problem there.
    I thought it was a emergeancy use product is why I never used it before.Used plugs instead.
    after todayxs use the slime dots are gone (hard to find) that great .
    I may use it in the vtruck later we'll see.
  9. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you think someone there is a roofer or did the complex just thave the roof done? You can get magnet strips that you hang from your equipment to help clean up the area as you traverse it. Check someone like Northern Tool, Harbour Freight. I'd try and clean the nails up so I don't step or kneel on one, or throw one with the mower some day.
  10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah it works but it is nasty as a mother f*#@er to change the tires. Expect to pay a lot more when that time comes.