1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many to work on memorial day?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guntruck, May 27, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

I was just curious as to how many of you guys are going to work on memorial day? We are a little backed up because of the rain here and i really could benefit from having this day worked. I hesitate because i dont want to look to unprofessional. If it were me and guys were working on my neighbors lawn while i was having a cook out on a holiday i think i would be pi@@ed off. So are any of you going to labor on the holiday?

:blob3: :blob3: :blob3:
  2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

We will be working
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Ill be working also. Im now 2 days behind on mowing because of the rain!
  4. sunrise

sunrise Banned

we will not be mowing on Memorial Day
    Alot of customers are military and they wouldnt like that.
    Memorial Day is to show your respect
  5. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

I hate doing it, but i have no other choices, I did work alot this weekend to take care of all my residentials that I do on Monday, so I wouldn't bother anyone who is having a cook out or having people over. But I do have one industrial site, as well as two apartments that need to be done....
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I always worked on Memorial Day, atleast part of the day. Commercials only, though. Not this year. Day off!
  7. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

Mowing residentials on any holiday is not cool at all. rain or no rain.
  8. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I would NEVER work Memorial Day, let alone work a residential on a holiday!!! LOL, I consider that VERY unprofessional.
    You couldn't catch up on Saturday AND Sunday???
    We had rain a couple of days this week also (not complete wash-outs)but we had no problem getting done Friday, we just worked a little longer days. Monday is a paid holiday for my crews, with a three day weekend!
  9. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I wont be working Memorial Day either. We had a tremendous amount of rain, but worked a few 12 hour days to catch up. Everyone needs a day off once in awhile.
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Nope, no working for us on Memorial Day.
    We were behind too with the rain.
    Matt worked until dark on Friday, and he pulled an all day on Saturday so we are now all caught up.

Not only do we not like to bother the customers if they would be having any parties or company at their house during a holiday, we also look forward to a little bit of time off too.