How many use a bagging system?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JayD, Nov 4, 2007.

1. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

How many of you use a grass catcher/bagging system on WB's?
    Do you only use it on certain jobs or all the time?
    How often or fast does it fill up before you have to stop to empty it?
    And is it worth the hassle of emptying it to use it?
    I know that there could be many factors in this question, like hight of grass, width of deck, etc....
    Thanks, Jay

2. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare LawnSite Senior Member

I use mine on my hustler WB, it fills up pretty fast if the leag coverage is heavy, but then i just leave it on and it mulches up the rest of the leaves really well. Then i just go over the yard again and it picks the rest clean. I know that means i mowed the yard practically twice but i only do that when leaf coverage is heavy. Then you what you pick up is mulched really well and easy to haul. If there arent that many leaves i just empty as i go.

3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I used one for years. Its ok. I like the toro exmark bagger the best. If it is high it will fill up quick. There about 3 bushels on average. I have used grass goblers and it is a pain when they are full to dump!

4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i only use one for fall cleanups. i REFUSE to use one for mowing. it is a hassel, not worht the time, and not worth the little bit more money you "make". acutally, i make more on lawns i dont bag than ones friends do bag. so your losing money bagging. i can understand if you do very small lawns with beds all over. then you might need to.

5. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I opted for an accelerator catcher for leaves based on people telling me how there scag vac system plugged all the time. I only do leaves or an occasional overgrown lawn with it and it works like a charm. Bagging grass is to be avoided if at all possible.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Never, if it needs picking up I use the circle method of windrowing, then tarp + rake the clippings...
    Even this costs extra but I ain't dealing with bagging, as they said it's just not worth it, the circle method is way faster.

It wouldn't be so bad if customers were willing to pay an extra $15-$20 per 1/4 acre lot to have it bagged, it may sound outrageous but to me that's how much I would have to get to make it worth while. After dumping it in the trailer I still have to unload it, but assuming I can dump it in the woods on their property still ought to cost at least $10 but really $15, it is that much work. Unfortunately the most I've ever had customers willing to pay for it is 5 bucks, and that is the gist of it.

That having been said, if you really need the work then you might have to bag a few, I did in my earlier years. I used the standard thing that was made for whatever mower I was using at the time, they've sat in the basement unused since those days, but those standard attachments are likely to be the best thing for it.

7. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, I have saved a lot of time with a lawn sweeper this season. Just pull behind my Exmark Z-turn, put them all in a large pile, and load them into trash containers. Goes pretty quick.

8. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

I am looking for something that will help me on one of my jobs that has a few mulch beds planted all around one another. It is too hard to keep the clippings out of them no mater which direction I mow. I do have the blade blocker on it but even with that, I have to keep going over it costing me more time. Thats why I was wondering about using a catcher/bagger, or could get those Mega-mow knifes/blades, or even just try mulching blades with the blade blocker.
    Has any one even used the Mega- mow blades?

9. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

I made brackets, and use an accelerator on my John Deere walk behind.
    It does a good job, but I only use it on one place that is too soft for my other mowers.

10. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

My Baggers, both ZTR's and WB's are used for fall\spring clean up periods only .