How many use a siphoning system? Which one?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by spray_man, Nov 11, 2006.

1. spray_man

spray_man LawnSite Member

I love siphoning systems, because I can mix and match chemicals on the fly, and I do not need to mix large batches. The trade-off is in the system complexity. I use, Dosmatic. Inexpensive? yes. A little finicky? yes. What other companies make a system? I only found Dosmatic (reasonably priced), and a company in Canada (six times higher priced), I can't remember their name. I am curious. I know the large companies use siphoning. What about the independents? I want to compare notes.

2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i have been looking very hard into them, but i have'nt heard any talk much about using them. sounds like a great way to go, just wondering if the system can withstand the beating on the trailer/back of the truck? and still be reliable. they say claim to they can, but who knows. they say their easy to rebuild, but how do you know when that is? do they stop pumping, or pump to much? either way that could be COSTLY if you smoked a lawn, or didn't apply enough and had to go back.

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have used these types of units permanently connected to irrigation systems. Dosatron ,Dosomatic, Chemilizer, all would be fine for your use I think.

Yes they do stop putting out product when they go bad, they wont dump their load. The gasket kits to rebuild are about 100 bucks for everything last time I checked. You can adjust the flow rates. The only problem I have had besides gaskets is not buying the right unit for the flow rate and the thing sounded like a machine gun for quite a while before the piston broke that was a couple hundred bucks.

Dosatrons, the blue ones, seemed to provide the best service for me anyway. They use them at a lot of nurseries around here on dollies with a 5-G bucket at the bottom. The small dosatron would probably work best on a hose feed for lawn spraying.

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the noise, was it just the flow? i pump anywhere from 1.5 - 3gpm. the spec's give a .5 - 12gpm flow rate.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

all the systems i have seen so far seem to be lacking or cost way to much

6. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

something you might want to consider is a 2 line system with a base spray and add what you need when you need it at the gun. I will be adding this over the winter to one of my lines.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i looked at that system it was a small hose inside a half inch hose u have to have a double reel nice idea but costly i was trying to find someone with it in my area so i could have a look and i could not find anyone that had it
    almost all the local guys have some sort of ride on machine even CL
    oh well off to work the sun is comming out :cool2:

8. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

You can get that system or one where there is a 3/8 or 1/2 inch hose bonded to a 1/4 inch hose running along side. This is what tru green runs. Most reels you can add a second swivel to insted of buying a new reel. If you had to buy a new reel you can buy a manual one and reuse your electric motor for rewind. Rittenhouse has a 2 line gun as well as Graham lawn equipment in Ga. Your second tank can be a 15-20 gallon cone bottom tank to ensure full usage and a 100 psi electric pump should do the trick.

9. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

Check Gregson-Clark.

10. spray_man

spray_man LawnSite Member

I have been using a single Dosmatic unit for the past 3 years. My only problems happen, when I change chemicals that I do not test for compatibility first (I am lazy, and stupid). When some chemicals are combined (pure, without added water) they gel a little, and can clog the system, and I have to unscrew the lower end of the pump, and flush it out with water. This can easily be eliminated, by running water through the system before starting the next chemical. A better solution is to add a second siphoning pump (these pumps are under $200). I did this Last weekend. I will post some pictures in a couple of days (the pluming took me 1 1/2 days) I wanted it to be tight, and look good.

AZ Gardener, Thanks for the input. I looked at the pumps you suggested. The Dosatron appears to be the best (all things considered) for my pest control application (truck mounted), but the rates are not adjustable (I think. correct me if I am wrong AZ). That stops me from buying. I change rates from time to time, from .5 % to 1.5 %. Sometimes to 2.5 %. The Dosmatic I use can go from .5 % to 2.5 %. You can adjust on the fly.

I like the hose within the hose idea, but, I see some limitations that stop me from spending the money (injection system, 600' of hose, gun, and plumbing fixtures) to do it. Mainly, you can only inject small percentages. The big advantage is, that the chemical is right there at the gun. I like that idea.