1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many use Lesco products?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by P & L Turf, May 9, 2006.

1. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

We've got a new Lesco dealer in town, so I figured I'd check'em out. The guys in there seem real helpful and knowledgeable, but I was wondering how their fert products are. How do you guys like the job that it leaves? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Lesco fertilizer products are at least average and ususally above average.
  3. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been a customer of Lesco for years, but recently had a falling out with the local branch due to grass seed that they sold me last year. My yard is infested with POA Annua and they are claiming the seed has nothing to do with it. Funny because neither of my neighbors have it and we water, fertilize and mow the same time. I am currently looking elsewhere for product. I might even resort to Scott's until I find something better. I'm never buying Lesco again..........
  4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

for the record, timing of water, fert and mowing has absolutely nothing to do with poa annua. = )
  5. lawnstriper23

Exactly!! I tried to explain this to the gentleman at Lesco, but her wasn't hearing it. I still say the POA Annua came in the grass seed that Lesco sold me last Fall. There is just no way only my yard would have this weed and in the areas that I overseeded.

BTW, sorry for the thread hijack.............
  6. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Hmm.... If you put out seed, that means no preemergent was applied (I hope) thus the emergence of Poa Annua.

That can and will occur with any seed you purchase and put out especially when there is lawn prep work prior to putting out the seed.
  7. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Oh yeah.. I also purchase from Lesco..Primarily for specialty chemicals like Drive, Stonewall, MSMA, etc. I usually get my fert from other locations.

The advantage they have is they are the closest vendor to me. All the others are at least 60+ miles north of where I live. They know there stuff vs. the other vendors..
  8. lawnstriper23

So what your saying is that anybody that applys new seed or overseeds will get POA Annua? As I walk my neighborhood very few of us have this weed and I know that I'm not the only one who has overseeded. I just want to rid my lawn of this weed because it looks terrible........
  9. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Not just Poa, but other weeds as well. Remember, you overseeded and no preemergent was used thus there was nothing used to prevent the weed seeds from germinating.

The poa will go away once the tempuratures rise. Just make sure you have preemergent down now or the Poa will be the least of your worries..Unless you recently overseeded.

The guys at Lesco should have explained this.

By the way, when and what did you overseed?
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Lescos seed is certified, read the label and it tell noxous weed % in a bag. Always seen 0%. Is this a new housing development? were all lawns installed at the same time? Same seed, soil temps etc? All this will make a dif. in how the grass and/or weeds comes in.