How Many Use OEM Blades Only?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Apr 13, 2005.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Now I KNOW that you can get aftermarkets at J-Thomas, LandscapeSupply, MowBlades, even NAPA and other places for 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of OEM's so, that is NOT my question and I do not care about that at all in this question so thanks ahead of time for not hijacking this thread and taking it that way.

There has been a lot of "blade talk" around here lately and probably rightfully so with the season starting back up. So my question is this. How many of you LCO's (esp Fulltime ones) use ONLY OEM blades on your mowers?

I think personally that I may have decided that while yes they are more expensive they may also be a little better and in many cases fit much better is why I think I am going that route from now on maybe.

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I havent used them in years for my blades. I dont see a difference but the main reason is I have a buddy who used to work for Oregon, he still has connections and he can get me blades for $3-$4 apiece.

3. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

We buy Oregon blades if possible. I have a dealer account and the blades are very reasonable. When put side by sde with OEM blades I really don't see any difference. Blades to fit our Kubota ZD are less then half OEM's.

4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

MMLawn, good quesion, one I've been trying to answer too.

Oldtimer is an ex-LCO who has been an eXmark and Walker dealer for years now, and he posted to the effect that he's been seeing some recent problems with aftermarket blades and is selling more OEMs. I hope I've got him right, don't want to mis-represent him at all!

I've been using OEMs. I buy extras when I get new mowers. I've compared them with some aftermarkets and they seem to be a better quality than the aftermarket ones I've compared to, often straighter (!) and just look better.

Having said that, I'm betting Oregon and others manufacture OEMs for many mower makes, but I don't know that.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That's exactly my thoughts also that side by side the OEM look and feel better and more heavy duty in many cases. I know that say John Deere, eXmark etc are probably not making their own blades but even with a "name brand" aftermarket there still appears to be a difference to me.

6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I run ferris factory blades on everything. They are .25 instead of .2 they work I like em they last. Plus they are about as high lift as you
    can get.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I can get every thickness and size as well as style at half the cost and the same steels being used from the same factories that produce OEM blades.
    Why would I pay twice as much?

If the dealers and OEM's would get real on their pricing I'd be happy to buy them and support them. However with all aftermarket parts, Filters, throttle cables,blades,etc., etc. they are all made in the same places the dealers get them they are just priced more appropriately.

I spent too many years in manufacturing to buy into the idea that OEM materials are any different, because they are not.

My 2 cents.....................

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I only buy OEM's through my dealer...he has to make a living too.

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We also use OEM blades.

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I dunno Rod, with all the mowers you buy I'd say your already helping out................. :waving:

I have no problem with them making a living, however when our dealer wants $50 for a set of gators when I can buy them for $30................... payup