1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how many use vans?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bkdlawnCo, Dec 20, 2006.

1. bkdlawnCo

bkdlawnCo LawnSite Member

Just curious if anyone uses vans for there lawn care rig? i was just thinking that it may be a good idea.
  2. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm pretty sure he'll see this thread, but if not try pm'ing 'mike lane lawn care" he's one guy that I know uses a van.
  3. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a van!

Although...its a minivan.

Oh well, gets the job done.

(pulls a 5X10 with a Stander and other tools just fine too)
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We used a van for awhile to pull our big trailer because it got better gas mileage than our other trucks. I like being able to leave stuff inside and lock it up. Van cost a lot less than trucks in our area. All the big companies have some vans pulling both open/closed trailers. If you are pulling open trailer you can advertise on the van with these new wraparounds.
  5. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

We started out using a full sized '74 chevy van. You could stick two "52 scags and a handmower plus blowers and trimmers in there.Now we use "14 box trucks for the mowing end of our business,SLT stole our ideas:)
  6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I used a van to start my business . 1982 dodge van could fit a 48" toro in the back doors. I have considered getting another one to haul my trailer so I could quickly and easily lock trimmers, blowers etc. in the van on some jobs. I had a rack on the side of the inside of the van for trimmers. The down side was the constant smell of gas while driving.
  7. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Could some of you guys post pics of loaded vans, I would like to see it.
  8. Lawntime Mowers

Lawntime Mowers LawnSite Member
    from KC MO

94' Aerostar Minivan 4.0 L built on heavy work-van frame with 4 wd. 16-20 mpg
    Carries up to five employees and lots of gear locked in back.

I'll buy another one when I expand my business again to add another crew.
  9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I like the idea of a van. They would seem to have an advantage over a trailer (enclosed or open). Keep all your tools and equipment with out to much trouble.

A used van can be purchased with out a lot of money.
  10. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright...but how do you all feel about MINI vans?