how many windshields/windows busted?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Show-Me Lawn Care, May 28, 2004.

1. Show-Me Lawn Care

Show-Me Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Just broke my first windshield today, that I know of at least. Was mowing a vacant lot on a corner of a busy street, woman comes back around the block and told me a rock cracked her windshield as she was driving by. From the looks of the windshield, I didn't think she was scamming me. It still had dust/rock fragments in the chip, and so on. So we go down to the local glass shop, $220 out of my pocket. Insurance deductible was $500, so I just paid for it. So I cut 8 lawns today for a grand total of $25...:angry: :angry: :angry:

So how many has everyone else busted?

2. spinrider2000

spinrider2000 LawnSite Member

new client for a first time service, ran over dog bones and cracked the window glass. minus $150 on the first visit.

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have broke 3 and my employees have broken 3. All have happened at the different apartment complexes we do. These accounts have rock in the shrub beds instead of bark mulch and the kids like to drag the rocks out in the grass. And you dont see them all. Last year I got one with the Z. Rock went through screen, 2 panes of glass and landed on the bed inside the apartment. 3 windows from the Z,2 from the push mowers and 1 patio slider from string trimmer. This has been over the last 4 years and over a million dollars in gross sales. So its a small percent of income. STUFF HAPPENS.:eek::

4. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I broke my windshield yesterday.

5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

0 so far.
    I know it will happen eventually, but the longer it can wait, the happier I am. :cool:

6. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

Over about a 5 year period we cracked about a dozen windshields and never a home window. We did all the windshield chippin at apt. complexes and one commercial account in particular.... My insurance agent never once asked me to pay a dime out of my pocket.... I called him, gave him the details, he 'got err done'. I had a $500 deductible ... always wondered why nothing came out of my pocket but never asked.

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

0. It must take a pretty good and direct lick to crack a windshield. I would definitely be sceptical if I didn't see the windshield immediately before and immediately after.

Chuck, Maybe you never had a deductible cause your Insurance disputed all of the claims and never paid them? The person could never really prove that you did it right? Guess we'll never know what really happened. I'd be curious though.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

one cracked windshield, parked car. nobody saw, so i didn't say a thing.

9. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

I'm almost positive all claims were taken care of ... One of the cracked windshields belonged to the general manager of the commercial property .. he personally thanked me for having a windshield repair company come to his residence to replace the windshield.

These days ... do insurance companies replace them or fill/fix them? I noticed companies claiming then can fill a crack or chip in and never know it had been chipped.

10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Sometimes honesty is not the best policy! :D