How many with 2 people?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dapozer, Dec 12, 2005.

1. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

How many avg size lawns could 2 people do with two 21"decks, a 32"walk-behind, trimmers and 1 blower i one week/5 days? Avg size equals 1/2 acre or so. Just starting a biz plan and looking for some good numbers for sales gross. I will also add ferts, and aeration to the list as well as irrigation maint.
    shawn

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Shawn; A couple of questions, first. Why the 2 21's and a 32" when you are cutting 1/2 acre lots? 1/2 acre with a house in the middle equals 15k to 18k of lawn. I do those everyday in the northeast, solo. I can do 8-10 per day, by myself. YES, 15k to 18k per, by myself, with a 52" stander. That is cut, trim and blow. SO, first you have to look at the equipment that you have. You have to try and realize the most production for your time. Half way down the row with the 21" mower...STOP...and look around you and ask "how big of a mower should I be standing here with?" Of course, gates to yards present some problems. Personally, there is NO way I would be doing business with 2 men and 2 21" mowers. It is NOT productive. Look at your financial situation. Come up with the most cutting power that you can afford, taking into consideration the access to the lawns and the size of your wallet. What I am trying to say is to show up at the customer's meaning business. Show-up, cut trim and blow, and leave as fast as you can. Dont be a hurricane that blows through...but be GOOD and be FAST. No reason, with a week full of good weather and you having some better mowers, that you and another cannot get 65-75 lawns a week all done. The first couple of weeks at that pace will be hard, but then it will all come together. Remember, Mother Nature is ALWAYS the Boss in this business, so plan accordingly. You mentioned that you want to add ferts. and aerations to the list. Maybe base you client list so that you have enough mowing for 3 -4 days a week, and then space the ferts. and aerations out to fill in the left-over days. I personally take on TOO much work, but I am always busy. Sometimes, in the Spring, I am flat-out 7 days a week. Some say that I am crazy...BUT...my bills are all paid, and my winters are in Daytona, Florida.

3. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I can do about 8-10 a day and im solo also, i do em with a 48 bunton.
    I would have one guy mowing with the 32'', and the other trimming, and edging, blowing, just my opinoin.
    Jim Daily-Whats the name of you company, jw because im in Franklin

4. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

most of my accounts are 1/4 - 1/2 acre lots, my busy day this summer (1st year) I did 17 and was done just before 5:00. all done with a 21" and a 32" belt drive. Spring time sucks though ha ha.

5. mhaysmow

mhaysmow LawnSite Member

if you want to make money in this business get away from push mowers one they do suck and two its hard to mow all week when your doing all the work spend a little money and let your equip. do the work in half the time just my 2cents

2002 silverado 1500
    2004 croft 6.5x12 open trailer all the racks
    2004 52 stander
    48 hyd walk behind encore
    billy goat leaf vac
    toro push
    2 straight shaft trimmers stihl
    stihl blower and chainsaw
    48" plow for walk behind