1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how many women here in landscaping

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lakesregionscapes, Mar 3, 2006.

1. lakesregionscapes

lakesregionscapes LawnSite Member

Not sure where to post this question, but I find myself wondering how many women are members here, running thier own or helping run landscape companies?
    I have seen some of sheshovels' posts: any others?

In our area, there's just a couple of wives pitching in (like myself): the women in business for themselves all seem to be gardeners.... Hubby had run into serious health issues - found the topic of "could I swing it on my own" come up a time or two (not in the foreseable future, thank goodness); just wondering.
  2. PlantSolutions

PlantSolutions LawnSite Member

I am a landscape designer out of NJ. I work with landscapers to install my designs. I started last year and do it on the side from working at a nursery full time. Eventually it will become full time. Wanted the horticultural experience first.
  3. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Our wives do scheduling, invoicing, all bookkeeping, phone calls, letters, email, research, put together bids, website...pretty much everything except the manual labor. Of course, we get a say in all aspects of the business, and we are always the ones that actually go out and gather information for bids and estimates, but they do all that other stuff that we don't want to...works great for us!
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I believe Kate Butler is one of us.
  5. tiger1

tiger1 LawnSite Member

I do all our mowing and my husband does the bigger stuff like landscape installs, or bobcat work. I love being out on the mowers, I usally have at least 1 -2 helpers during the week.
  6. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, girl, indeed, I am. Been in the biz for 20 years and am a full-service design/build landscaping firm. Started out solo and have grown to 5 or 6 people for our (regrettably) short season here in the North Country.
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Same here Precision. Actually I think they have the harder job by far!
  8. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a landscape designer and have been here for a long time. I've worked for several companies as well as for my husband's company.
  9. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

The Landscapers that I sub-contract off of are a Husband/Wife team. She designs everything. She has won awards for her container plantings.
  10. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

My wife is a horticulturist More qualified and knowledgable than i am for sure.Her speciality is Australian natives.Works at the local garden centre who i sub contract for.