1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many Yankees up north seen the grass we have to deal with down here?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, May 13, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

You think its hard cutting an overgrone yard, ever seen St. Augustine? What a pain. During the rain season just one week and you have to set your deck around 4'' and up. This stuff sure can get out of hand.
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Im from up north, dont know that im a "yankee" but i prefer the grass here. Can you immagine that striping crap at every lawn? What do they do if they misss a spot? Ill take ours any day.
  3. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Feel lucky your cutting grass down there if it don't rain here we won't be doing any cuttings next week.Extremly dry for this time of the year
  4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Striping looks like a bad cut. I sold one striping roller for an eXmark and the customer quickly junked it. We like our grass to look like it has been cut, not mashed down in a couple of directions.
  5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've cut St. Augustine and Zoysia. To be honest, its as if they are the same grass. They both build up that insane thatch and get spongy as he**. They both turn brown faster than any other type of grass in that region, and they both crowd weeds out beautifully. So, the Yankees on this site very likely have dealt with something like St. Augustine.
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I hate bremuda. snaggly, gnarley, thatchy bermuda! that's what I say!

GEO :D
  7. Mark McC

Funny you should mention that. When I mowed lawns in Clearwater back in the 80s, the Bermuda always killed a sharp blade much faster than anything else. Amazing stuff.
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I think Bermuda, St Augustine, Tall Fescue and Zoysia are tied for the worst. Centipede being the easiest
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

We have Burmuda and Zoysia all over the place here with a little Bahia thrown in once in a while. Here in the transition zone we get the worst of everything.
  10. Mark McC

Wow, Richard, half empty or half full? :p