how many yards = 30k

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wowmowwow, Feb 6, 2007.

1. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

how many yards being mowed solo does it take to earn 30k? all owed is 56" mower. i know there are many tangibles to this Q but roughly... going full time this year and just wondering..thanks

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

1.... if it's big enough.

3. wowmowwow

i hear ya...ill always remember that...thanks

4. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

well, let's see, what time period are you trying to get that amount in? one day? from the whole season?

5. Ocalalawns

Ocalalawns LawnSite Member

Depends where your located. I worked by myself in Fort Lauderdale Fl and had 39 accounts to make $30,000 a year. Nineteen of them were every 2 weeks year round with the rest being every week feb to oct. That was only working 2 1/2 days a week.They were small lots also. Now I live up in Ocala Fl and they want to pay the amount I use to get for a 1/4 acre to do a 1/2 acre plus. Work by yourself and you should have no problem. Good luck.

6. wowmowwow

with the news today about my international adoption being finalized in 8 weeks, i aiming to work full time mowing...i have no clue what that is. well, ...you guys say you did well in a couple of days...that is music to my ears! my boy will be 8 months old by the time we go to guatemala to get him so home time will be vital...thanks

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Let's see. Let us base it on $35 dollar lawns as an average for you (sure - some a little more). Obviously, we can easily figure if we mow 857 lawns, we have made our 30k, right? That is 29 lawns based on 30 cuts for the season, or closer to 43, based on 20 cuts (hot summer). That is your gross. Now, you have to see what it's going to take for you to pay your bills, pay for fuel, pay for parts and supplies for your mower and equipment, pay for REPLACEMENT COSTS of your mower AND truck, pay for parts and supplies for your truck, pay for your shop costs (power, taxes, etc.), pay for your administrative costs (computer, billing, office supplies, electricity for office, etc.)., pay for your liability insurance, pay for your truck insurance, and then....when all this is done, pay your taxes.
    SO,....now, if you want to be realistic,...(which is so hard to find by so many of the "dreamers" on this and other similar sites), you can do some deducting and figure up these costs (close approximation of you know what you're doing). You can probably tack on about another 50% of this to equate to your target. the reason i say 50% to this existing figure, is because to MAKE more to hit this number, don't forget, it is going to cost more.So, on that basis, you can be looking at doing about 45 to 67 lawns. Solo? Yeah,...like was said before...good luck. That is why it is being said more and more (more people are coming to the realization) that this business is NOTHING like it used to be. If you are not big time and making a little off several employees,..then you are cutting it...Great for retirees, married guys that have working wives, and young'uns that are doing it temporarily and don't have the bills to pay. But if you are not specializing in some other field like installs or something, the reality of the "mowing biz" is going to catch up to you sooner or later.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

:clapping:

Glad someone tells it like it is. I've been mowing for 7 years now and prices are nearly the same as they were 7 years ago. Do you think my expenses are nearly the same as they were 7 years ago?

9. wowmowwow

great new flash for me...thanks...i stoped breathing for a sec unitill i read the part about wives working. she is 23 yr old with a BA in nursing. so i am absent minded when it comes to the things other than gas and my big mower payment.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Right....Just know that you will NOT be the "bread winner" in the family. That's alright, though. She will be able to pay all the bills, provide a good health care for you, and hopefully, she won't look back in 10 years wondering what you are going to do with your hobby called a lawn care service. Just keep up the defense that atleast you spend your time making SOME money...rather than being out all the time fishing or golfing.
    And don't take this wrong...I'm just being fecicious.:rolleyes: