How many yards can you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chrisk, May 9, 2002.

1. chrisk

chrisk LawnSite Member

1 48inch walk behind, 1 32inch walk behind, 1/4 acre yards with minimal(sp?) trimming. with 2 people, how many yards can you do in an eight hour day????
    Thanks for the help
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

depends on how good you are, how close the lawns are to each other, how good the other person is. other than that i would say i could do by my self 12-15.
  3. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 47 years old now, but 3 years ago I could mow 55 yards in 4 and a half days, never get a complaint, 500,000 sq ft double cut 90 percent, super trimmming and never leave any grass on the walks or around trees. I used one Bunton 48" hydro and a 21 inch. Now here's the kicker. Everynite I made sure my truck was cleaned out, the mowers were serviced and I kept my home in order along with daily bookeeping Etc. I never left a stone un turned. At the time I had broke up with my girlfriend and let a 25 year old party girl live as a roomate with me so I went thru mid life crises and I still had time to drink about 4 cases of beer a week with her, go out on weekends to auto races and keep up my entire life in order. But it will burn you out!! Trust me!!
  4. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

That 500,000 sq ft meant I was walking over 900,000 total by myself a week. I also never missed a week cleaning my own home or grocery shopping or laundry. I'm not too impressed with many people saying they are ambitous.
  5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA
    Posts: 2,585 make an excellent point...I have found that the home details getting out of control like cleaning, paperwork, own prop maint., will drive you nuts if you dont stay VERY organized and learn to prioritize.......I still dont prioritize as well as I should....Touche' for you Tyner
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Ambitious wasn't the word I was thinking about. :D

To answer the question, it depends on you, location, equipment, desire, work ethic, etc, etc...

I've been able to handle 12-15 by myself before, but it does make for a long day and nobody to talk to but yourself. Plus, trimming sucks, hire a helper to do that. My opinion anyway.
  7. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

My max is about 12 or so. That includes bigger commercial accounts that I do first thing in the morning. After 6 days I'm pretty well shot! :p
    I'm 44 and can still "kick it up" like the younger guys,just takes me longer to recover.:eek:
  8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

not sure if you boys were refering to me to hire a helper, yes i have 2 part timers right now. i was just stating how many i could do solo with yards that small. 90% of my yards are bigger than 1/2 an acre and the biggest 2 acres.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I looked up the word AMBITIOUS and saw your picture!:p
  10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Heck, I have 5 yards that take one hr. and I have one yard that takes 5 hrs.