1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many yards do you do in one day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuck Sinclair, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Just wandering how many yards does the average LCO does in a day, and is it you alone or you and a helper or a maintenance crew? and what size mowers do you use.
  2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I do 10 yards a day. Im a small operation single man .
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it would depend alot more on how big or complex those lawns are. For instance, on a good day, mowing my smaller lawn route < 35,000 sqft each, I can usually get around 12-14 a day done. Now switch over to the other extreme with my bigger lawns which average 150,000 each I can only get done 3 of them. So it has alot more to do with the size of the lawn than the equipment you use.
  4. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on how big they are and the location of them. I've done as many as 10 in one long day. They were in the same town and were all about 15,000 sq. ft. I work alone and am using a Walker Mower w/ 52" deck. I think if I had a helper doing the trimming and edging I could get 15 to 20 in one day. The trimming and edging take the longest time, cutting is no big deal as long as you have a GOOD COMMERCIAL MACHINE. Hope this helps.

Good Luck,

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I do about 12 a day 3 days a week. Most average 9,000 sq. feet.
    I have 22 small rentals I do every 10-14 days (7 hrs) and the rest is for lawn treatment and misc. work.
  6. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I work alone as well. It varies for me. Friday is my big day. I do 15 lawns (approx. 10K Sq ft ea) with a 30 minute drive to and from. I leave home about 8:00 and get home about 6:00.

I have done as many as 16 in one day. Some were up to 1/2 acre. Man was I dead at the end of the day.

15 on Friday
    13 on Thursday
    11 on Wednesday
    10 on Tuesday
  7. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Between 8-23. I know that is a large spread, but somedays I do alot of small accounts and then on other days I am doing very large properties. And then of course there are Fridays in which I try to never work past 3pm.
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

With myself and 1 helper, we can do 25 lawns/day (10,000sf lots).This takes us about 10 hours including travel between lawns.I use a Walker 42" and a 21" on most of these. One or two require using 21" mowers on the whole yard. One 1 street we have 8 lawns in one block. We average 11 min./lawn on these.:)
  9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Our crews do anywhere from 15-25 per day. All smaller lots around here. All done with 21" mowers. Very little drive time in between. 8-10 hour days.

When I used to do it myself (Ahhh... This leather chair feels so much better :) I did about 10-15 a day. Now I get to sit in an air conditioned house or truck most of the day. Much better!
  10. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

12-14 lawns per day. An average of 40 minutes drive time every day, most lawns done with a 21" mulching mower, a few done with a 36" Exmark. Most lawns are in the 1500-3000 square foot range, and I work solo. Some lawns well below 1000 square foot, and a few above 4000. Nothing larger than 6000 square foot on my normal route.

sinlac, you're in Cali. How many do you do, and what's you're average size/lawn?