How many yards in a 1 ton?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CNYScapes, Jan 1, 2008.

1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

How many yards of topsoil and stone do you guys haul in your 1 tons?

We have a 2006 chevy 3500 dump i have not put more than 4 yards topsoil or stone in it, that seems to be about all it will handle. And my 99 F550 dump will take about 5 yards. I know thats over weight but I dont have to worry about DOT around here.

I am just wondering how much weight you guys put in yours?

2. around 4 tons.

3. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering how many yards, not tons. Thats how most people buy topsoil and stone around here when buying in small quantities.

4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I put about +/- 4 yards of topsoil on my 550 dump.... And just because you don't have to worry about DOT does not mean you have a right to be overloaded and unsafe.

A yard of topsoil is 2,000-2,500 lbs.

5. AllanAustreim

AllanAustreim LawnSite Member

two to two and a half yds is all I would put on a 1 ton. 1 ton trucks are the most abused trucks out there. Just because it will fit in the box doesn't mean it can handle it, you can cause excessive wear and tear hauling heavy loads with too small of a truck.

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

4yds of stone is about 6 tons. 1.5tons per yd.

7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I have had 4 yards of wet topsoil on one of my 1 tons it was heavy as h*ll the truck was loaded. The topsoil was 2000lbs a yard because it was so saturated with water. My F-Superduty (F-450) I had 4.5 yards on it and the soil was even heavier definatly close to 9000lbs.

I won't haul what I used on a one ton truck I actually will never use a 1 ton truck again. Only F-450 and larger a 1 ton dump should be illegal to even use.

9. Noot Dogg

Noot Dogg LawnSite Member

We put on average 5 yds in our one one. The allison tranny handles it fine and then put a D-max behind that and you can haul anything. We have had dirt falling over the sides already and the truck kept going.

10. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Its all fine until you have an accident and you get your butt sued off.