How Many Yards Of Topsoil In Pickup?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BASIC, Apr 28, 2004.

1. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

Hi,Id like to know how many yards of top soil I can put safely in my pickup bed,I have a Ford F-350,8'.w/diesel?

2. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

A yard weighs roughly between 2200 and 2500 lbs, so your should be able to handle 1 1/2 yards easily, and maybe 2 yards if you are careful. I had 4000 lbs in the back of my 3/4 ton, but I wouldnt go far with this much. Just make sure your tires are up to it, and easy on the speed, your brakes wont like it.

Bryan

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

If its a dually, up to 2.5 if its dry - otherwise no more than 1.5

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Dually or single makes no difference. Both are rated at the same GVWR. The only difference between the two (dually/single) is the width, and possibly a little wider turning radius with the dually....

I would say 1.5-2 maximum, unless you are used to pushing the limit and feel comfortable there. You will be pushing it with 1.5-2 though. If it's extremely wet soil, you probably shouldn't try for more than a yard at a time....

Dan

5. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I believe you are incorrect, D, my F350 C/C has a GVW of 11,500, while I believe the singles are only 9600.

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll look at work tomorrow, and get back to you...

The axle should be the same. Single/dual should have no bearing on wieght rating, otherwise they wouldn't be sold as 350's.

The only reason I can see for a lower rating on a single is the two extra tires on a dual can carry a little more of a load. But we're talking a 1/2 ton or so...

I'll check.

Dan

7. worthbrown

worthbrown LawnSite Member

I believe SCL is right, I have a chevy 2500HD, and that is in place of the single wheel one ton. 9200 GVW, and a dually can carry more weight, over 11K GVW

8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

There's a lot of variations with trucks, even within the same model series, depending on options. You have to check your own truck's GVW.

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of body does it have?

10. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

If you couldn't carry more weight with dual wheels why would anyone get them?