How many yards of topsoil/mulch in a GMC 2500HD?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mkwl, Mar 12, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Guys, I just got my 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD (see photos forum for pics), and I was wondering how many yards of somewhat moist topsoil you guys can put in the bed of the truck (long bed) without going over 4,000 lbs or so? Also, how much mulch can you guys get into a long bed with 3.5' sides (bed sides w/additional side stakes)?

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

4,000 pounds in the bed? Are you nuts? You could get maybe 2,000 pounds in there, if you're lucky, which is about 1 yard of topsoil. Any more than that and you'll start having suspension problems.
  3. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

I pick up my wood stove pellets 1 ton pallett.. Thats about it, without some sort of Timbrens or air bags.
  4. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

I work at a garden center that sells topsoil, stone, and mulch. when I load people i can get up to mabey 1.5 possably 2 yards of soil, depending of if it rained and such, and 2-3 yards of mulch mounded. that truck will be good, i personally love the people who want a yard or more of soil or stone in a s10 or ford ranger and watch them pull ot of the lot practically draging on the ground. Nice truck by the way.
  5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Ive put 2 pallots of mulch in mine a few times. thats 10+ yards. did it fine. and ill do it more and more. o and its a 3/4 ton.
  6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

you cant put more than 2,000 pounds in your bed?? wow....
  7. packer101

just wondering, but what did you put it, i dont see how you fit 10 yards in an 8 foot bed?
  8. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i would say 2 at max, but then you may be over on weight with top soil and scag48 a 3/4 will hold more than 2K i carry that in my 1500 once in a while and hardly squats.
  9. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd put a yard in the back of my S-10. But only because I do have Air shocks that add 2,000 pounds of helper weight.
  10. packer101

i was mainly refering to homeowners, not all, but most people mouths drop when they see the truck drop as far as some have.