How many yards til you guys get a loader?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by alpine692003, Aug 17, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking to myself,

I had to shovel 16 yards of topsoil with 2 wheel barrows and 4 guys. 8hrs.. I told myself, next time I will rent a mini loader and this will never happen again sigh...

How many yards of soil/rocks/mulch til you guys get a bobcat loader?

5yards? 10yards? 8yards?

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I moved like 10 yards the other day from my property. No way I was gonna shovel it all. Just a bunch of junk clay after relandscaping. Rented a dump trailer and bobcat 736 for like 150 bucks.

3. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't even get close to shovels and wheelbarows they just scare me. JK back in the landscaping days though, at first we did everthing by hand but as time went on we just got lazyer and lazyer. by the end if it was 5 or more yards of anything we had a dingo and power wheelbarows on site. Made things go quite fast. Untill the day one of the guys drove the wheelbarow of the edge of a small clif and into the creek below............

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a skid-steer. :) Often though, we'll do 5 to 10 yard jobs. Sometimes between the site location or access to the site, time spent loading and unloading the machine, we still do the small jobs by hand.

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We have had tractors from day one. Could not get by without them.

6. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to get one, even a mini loader.

I dont think I can handle another 20 yards of topsoil with wheel barrows..

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm buying a mt52 soon but if I were renting one I would have to be spreading 30 yards or more before I would bother. I used one a week ago on 30 yards and 3 weeks ago on a 60-yard job and they are a real time saver. But the rental cost vs. another guy does not work out to well for me at 20 yards or so. This spring I did a job 30 yards of fill and 70 yards of topsoil by hand. We moved 65 yards in one day with 4 of us. That will get you blisters on your hands I promises you. The top soil is easy I can do 2-3 yards and hour by my self but fill as I found out SUCKS.

8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I don't call it lazy ...I call it smart... rather have a machine then 4 guys any day.

9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

How many yards of mulch, topsoil, gravel, and stone do you think I have moved in 10 years? Lost count a long time ago. Finally bought the skid this year. I agree with Kris, I would rather have the machine than 4 guys on the job.

10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

it depends on where your going with the soil/rocks/and mulch, if its a backyard, sometimes a skid steer wont fit, unless you MAKE it fit. if its under 10 we'll do it by hand. havent had anything over 9yards until just recently.