How Many Yards

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by justanotherkid, Jan 18, 2008.

1. justanotherkid

justanotherkid LawnSite Member

How many yards do you think a full time student could be able to get

Hiring Someone to help is also an option

I go to highschool and will be co-op have the day so i will be able to start around 11 am. during the week and all day sat. and sun.

I want as many yards as possible

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

what kind of equipment do you have?

3. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say around 30 starting out. It all depends on ths size of the mower and the the size of each yard. It has to be a tight route as well.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Come on Guys. this Q is one of those that cant be answered.

5. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree. everyone is diffrent, it depends on the equipment you have, and on how much help you have ect. i'm not longer in high school but when i was in high school i was mowing 60 lawns a week, a mix of commerical and residential. so it really depends on your set up and your hlep.

6. BMurray

BMurray LawnSite Member

60 a week? Wow thats a lot. I am also a high school student and I plan to try and get about 12-15 accounts per week.

Brian

7. justanotherkid

justanotherkid LawnSite Member

i kno that it is different for different yards i just want an estimate so that i dont get over my head

and my equipment will probley be around a 40" + and ill have a 21" push mower not exactly sure

The max of help would be 1 person

Most of my yards will be your average residentual

My estimate would be around 30 by myself and around 50 with one person

8. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

every yard is different so thats a hard one to answer. If you're worried about getting in over your head, i'd say start with 10-15 and just add them 1 by 1 until you feel you've reached your limit. You also need to think about summer vacation if you're not graduating this year. what happens if you are doing 50 lawns a week in the summer and then you have to start another school year. I guess that would allow you to just keep the "good" ones though.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Good lawns are GOLDEN.

10. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

how many man hours can you do a day ? when you know that # , then decide how Long with drive time it will take ,, good luck with that.. we all are still trying to get the best time for the $$$