How many years have you been in business?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mkwl, Jan 16, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

How many years have you guys been in business? I've been doing lawn maintenance since I was 9, I've been in "business" for 6 years, though I only started cuttng other peoples lawns weekly since I was 10.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I've been "in the business" since I was 14 or so, but i've been in business for 2 years.

3. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

since i was 8 but when i started mowin for money 12 so three years now im 14.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This will be my 12th year in business and 40th or so cutting grass.

5. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

so what you are really saying is that daddy pays you $10.00 to cut the lawn because you are not "in business" you are just a kid who thinks you are.

6. mmmm lets see, I'm 45 now, I road around when my mom was pregnant with me ( I was helping) so I gues that makes it 45 years and 6 months. I just knew when I was in the womb that I wanted to mow grass. and have since then.

7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Clark Lawn, I agree with you. I don't consider someone that is under the age of 18 to be "in the business". Just because someone rides or drags their daddy's lawnmower to the neighbors house or has their mom drive them there and they get $10.00 for mowing the yard does not mean they are "in the business" This should be an age restricted or even a pay site to keep these youngsters out.

8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, by the way, I'm in my 5th year "in this business"

9. Jpocket

They had "lawnservices" 45 years ago? LOL

10. Jpocket

It depends on how things are set up. I've been growing my business since I was 14. Before I turned 18 I was insured under my pop's name, and we slit everything down the middle. when I turned 18 I had an established business.

I think you older guys should try to mentor the younger guys instead of putting them down. You should encourage them, because whether you want to admit it or not we all had to start somewhere. Most people don't just turn 18 or 21 and go out and get a 50K SBA loan, with zero customers.

Bottom line is we all started somewhere legit or not.