HOw mcuh per Hour? Man , Machine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packey, Jan 10, 2008.

1. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I was asked yesterday to give a written proposal to a large property management co up here. However they asked me to not give prices per property buy what they want instead is prices Per man hour and per equipment hour. From their that is how they award contracts. This is new to me bidding this way does anyone have any advice. They have up for bid 31 properties and you do not know which property you get untill they call you. This is not the only company who has asked for thes type of bid or proposal. all the others who are offering up contracts are doing the same.:confused:

2. cwags73

cwags73 LawnSite Member

Run fast! Or bid high enough to cover your expenses plus a profit. Only you know what your cost per hour is. Don't forget to include all your insurance, wages, equipment, when figuring this out. These places almost always go with the cheapest price though.

3. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

i ALWAYS bid by the property NOT by estimated man hrs. you can have two propertys that are Exactly the same size but one could take longer to do the work then the other because of trees, slopes, walkways etc. so i wouldnt bid on ANY property without seeing that property first so i Know what i'm bidding on. bidding by Estimated man hrs WITHOUT seeing the property First is a Good way to LOSE MONEY !!!!

4. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I don't believe that they ask him to estimate the # of hours, just his price per hour.

5. Dave_005

yea, you can give your price per hr but you can't give them a bid without also giving an estimate of how many hrs to do the job.

6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I guess that we don't speak the same language. ........enjoy:hammerhead:

7. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

AsI crunch numbers for this I still ask myself why do they wnat things this way. Oh well here is what I have so far tell me if this sounds right or is to low or to high
    $27.50 per man hour. this would inclued handheld gas equipment and 21 inch jmower
    $37.75 per equipment hour this would be for larger walk behind and z's this includes pulling dethatchers, aerators, and fertilizer speader.
    I need so ideas so if anyone has any through them out. Our priceing would be similar to more expensive major metro areas.

8. Dave_005

OK, this will be my 3rd season so maybe i'm not understanding this. they want you to bid ONLY by giving them your $ per man hr and $ per machine hr and you have NO idea which property you're going to get until after they award the accounts ? i just don;t understand bidding like this because it sounds like they are going to take who ever charges the least per hr and give them the contract and then they are going to say this property should take THIS long to do. thats why i said before and i still say it, i would HAVE to see the property i'm going to bid on so I KNOW HOW LONG it will take and how much to bid, and not how long the customer thinks it should take. if i'm understanding this wrong please let me know.

9. dutchhook

dutchhook LawnSite Member

I think this prop mgmt company actually wants just the price per hour.
    I don't know how much snow you get in NW Colorado, but this smells like a snowplowing bid, doesn't it??
    Someone'll make that contract work, and charge for drivetime, sitting in trucks during rain delays and bogus hourly sheets. Bid the work, and sand/salt every mow

10. A Lawn Care Co LLC

A Lawn Care Co LLC LawnSite Member

Sounds to me like they want a newer person in the industry to come along so they can take advantage of it. You know, someone dying to get that big contract and willing to bid low to get it, and then taking them for all they can.

I wish you the best on this one. My instincts say be very careful. :nono: