1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how much 12k$$ yard-push mow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hustlers, Sep 20, 2003.

1. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

yard is 12,000 ft2 is to push mow. little trimming,
    14 minutes to blow off.
    what do you think would be going$$$$$$$$$$
    rate, probably 1.5-1.75 man hrs.

needs push mowing in deep shade.

I think I under bid it
    take a guess what you would charge

somewhere between $25-80$... I shoulda bid 80
  2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

The going rate for a push mowing job? Why does it have to be push mowed? You cant expect alot if you are going to just whip out a push mower from your trunk or something. Dont get me wrong. dont get me wrong but sounds like this lawn is to big for you if you are useing a push mower.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

12M really isn't that much, but I'm kind of confused with the "14 minutes to blow it off" thing. What are you using, fireplace bellows?
  4. Harley58

Harley58 LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

LOL. What a visual Runner!
  5. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I have one like that.....lady wants it 21'ed.....65 bucks...takes one guy all total about one hour
  6. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

$65 bucks and he said sweet,
    Im using his mower, I told him you must fire chem lawn

Due to high N there is no roots system and it rips up turf with
    other mowers,
    so i am going to overseed use good fertilizers, get a root system
    and eventually use my bobcat 48 wb w/o jungle wheels

I dont push mow much but dont know the going rate

Its not very thick or nice cause chemlawn sucks but it will be
  7. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

If I were the homeowner I would never pay $80 for a mow, trim & blow on 12K of turf. If you can get that kind of money for the job, go for it! I don't know what equipment you're using, but if it is a 21er then your productivity will suffer vs. someone mowing the same property with a 48 hydro who can finish the job in 40 minutes for around $40 - $50. I don't know what this property is like, exactly, I'm just ball-parking it here.

I have some large properties (couple of acres) I mow with my 48 hydro that are a tad out of my target rate because I have to bid them like an LCO with a 60 Z rider. It's either that or don't land the account. They are good properties for me this year, but I will probably either cull them out of my route or buy a bigger mower. These properties are not out of my league, but I make better money on smaller properties because they're a better match for my equipment (e.g. tiny yard I wipe out in 18 min = $30; 45 min. job = $65).
  8. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

I mow 1/4 acre properties all the time, $25. That includes trimming and blowing. I use a 52" Hydro WB. Takes 25 minutes tops.
  9. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

What good fertilizer are you going to use, what type of grass?

What about weeds?
  10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

12000 should take an hour if you are really mowing. I mow my own yard with a 21 sometimes. It is 15000 sq ft +or- a little and it takes me right around 1.15 for mow and 2 hours trim.
    If you dont have alot of trimming I would bid right at 85 and let him know once you get the turf seeded to where you can actuall use a real mower you will only charge 50. He will think He will be getting a bargain when the turf is in good shape and you will be making out either way. Xtras(seeding, aerating, fertilizing) and mowing = good money. Just make sure he knows why he is getting charged the premium price (His lawn is not apt to be mowed with a larger mower).
    If he doesnt go for it then it is a tossup on wether the xtras are making you enough to keep doning.
    Good luck