How much a load

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by BufalinoLand, Jan 31, 2006.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

The new 3500 dump is just sitting in my driveway waiting to make some money

This summer how much to charge per dump for people who want me to go get stone or bark or what not

Im thinking $50.00 shot

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

might want to call around to a few places(other landscape co. and supply yards that deliver) and see what they charge so youll be competitive

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Apparently you made a decision to buy the truck based upon a financial analysis to justify the purchase. What is wrong with your numbers you used in the analysis? Did something change between your decision to buy, and now?

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You mean it's US $50 if I order 1 yard of mulch or 10 yards of topsoil, doesn't matter if the mulch is going 2 miles up the road and the topsoil 20?
    Cool !!!

sorry, it was irresistible.
    I might suggest a minimum order (4 or 5 yards, some guys won't move for less than 8 but a full-ton truck might be ok with 4-5). Then, you need a charge / yard AND a minimum charge plus either per mile or a per mile surplus if it's further out than usual.
    I would also suggest you hook up with a supplier and get their current prices, in most cases when I do deliveries, the customer pays the whole bill to me because they don't want to fool with finding the best (and cheapest) soil / mulch, they want it all taken care of in one phonecall.
    That way I always know where I'm going, I know the quality and the prices are consistent, and I have a much easier time come time to get paid - Not all mulch yards are the same, the quality of the material varies and even the size of a cubic yard varies from place to place and sometimes day to day. So, find yourself a supplier you can trust.
    It might be of further assistance to find someone has a selection, mine has everything from sand to gravel to soil to mulch, various types, sizes, and colors, the guys have around 20 or 30 bins I can pick and choose from, it's like grocery shopping, almost. I can even go out there and get samples in plastic bags to bring to my customers, omg they love it.

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had several tons of gravel trucked in for our driveway last year.
    Don't remember the cost but I remember he had different prices based on miles from where he got the rock to where he was delivering the rock.

6. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

Roger, take it easy

I purchased the truck to make it easier for me to do my maintenance

I dont work for free, whether or not I dump for customers, I know that 2005 will be paid for in 3 years

thanks for your consideration though

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Bufalino, I didn't understand your broader scope of intentions. From your initial post, it sounded like, "OK, now I have a truck for hauling, how much do I charge for the hauling." Rather, I think you are saying the truck was for other work, and the hauling is added business to help pay off the truck. Good -- make use of your asset to make money above and beyond what is normally expected.

8. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

most companies around here charge at least 75.00 per load, and most of them have a 5 yard minimum

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Same here, it's something I keep in mind because smaller guys like me deliver UP to 5 yards, see how that works :)