how much air?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by flatlander42, Apr 1, 2009.

1. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

2. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Typically it is not Volume, but PSI. These jacks only use a few cubic feet, but about 150 PSI. Hope this helps.

3. flatlander42

Thanks.

I have used air jacks in the shop I worked at years ago, and it seemed like it would burst after every "pump". And I don't remember what kind of psi we were running. That is kinda why I was thinking volume.

Thanks,
    Nathan

4. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Shop jacks as in Truck lifts??? Those use a TON of air. These little bottle jacks do not use as much as those big lifts. Good luck. May I ask what you idea is. I am intrested in knowing.:usflag:

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

CC is right those air jacks require pressure. Essentially the air pressure pushes a plunger that replaces the jack handle.

That air powered long extension jack is usually a replacement on a engine hoists from a manual jack to a air operated jack for a person removing a engine themselves. They can have the air toggle switch in their hand to lift the engine while the other hand wiggles and guides the engine out.

6. flatlander42

Well here is my Idea.....

I want to make the front of my trailer dump to the side. I use a Navigator.....and dump the clippings from it on the trailer and scoop it off when needed. And I am getting tired of scooping.

I do not want a normal hyd cylinder and pump with a motor...to much $$

and this cylinder is good for 8ton-waaaay more than enough.

I was thinking I could use a few large air bombs/tanks....but I dont know if it would even be a good idea or not.

That is where my thinking is!

Am I thinking in the WRONG direction?

Thanks

Nathan

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That idea really isn't going to work the jack won't have enough stroke and your air supply is too small.

8. flatlander42

Not talking about air supply for a second, I think the 20" of stroke should be plenty...would get it close to a 45degree angle...remember I'm talking about dumping to the side.

I would go and look at my dads grain truck, and kinda scale it down to what size I would need.

How much stroke does a dump trailer/grain truck ect. have?

I am asking these questions to learn, so ANY info is appriciated!
    Then I would just have to figure out the air supply, or buy an old log splitter!
    Thanks A LOT!

Nathan

9. hondarancher4435

hondarancher4435 LawnSite Senior Member

just put an onboard 12v compressor hooked up to like a 20 gallon tank. i think you have a great idea going and i have thought of the same before. or to make it really easy just get a hydralic ram and just use a hand pump for it.

10. flatlander42

Thanks Hondarancher...

I still think it is a good idea!
    But this spring I am gonna keep my eyes open for a old used log splitter for cheap....that way may end up being cheaper and faster!

Nathan