How much are we worth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TTG, Nov 18, 2004.

1. TTG

TTG LawnSite Member
    from MA

My brother and I spent the day doing a fall clean up for an account that we recently picked up in the spring. The customer (husband and wife both doctors waterfront home) simply asked if we could do the fall cleaning we agreed but no price or estimate was needed.
    Pulled up at 8 am with 1ton dually boxed 8ft. high, new 16 hp Lesco truck loader, 8hp push blower, 751 echo BP blower,48" & #36" hydro WB's rakes tarp the whole nine.
    We left there at 4:30 two and a half truck loads later and the job is not done. Leaves were dry- not a breath of wind. the mowers did'nt pick up a single leave, cut flower beds, blow, tarp ,and suck all day.
    I am new to the truck loader and am totally amazed at how many leaves you can put in a dump truck ,we also jump in the box and pack em down.
    With that said, how much would you say we are worth??

2. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i'd say about $100-$150/man hour...that makes you $1,600-$2400 if you had a 30 min lunch. With all of that equipment, you are worth the money.

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

For my area, $50 to $75 per man hour plus dump fees... I would charge a minimum of $1,000 to $1,300....

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Not to rain on your parade or anything...........BUT,
    Why would you do that amount of work, and say you are still not done, without giving the customer a price?
    I don't care what the customer says, NEVER do this much work without pricing.
    This must be one large property to take all day with dry leaves.

5. TTG

TTG LawnSite Member
    from MA

WE have many accounts were we do weekly lawn main.,then when fall comes the simply ask: can you take care of the leaves. If you were to see the property dvmcmrhp52 , you would understand why no estamates are needed.
    We trust the customer just like they trust me to give them a fair price .
    This seems to work for use because we have 6 accounts in less than a 1/4 mile all waterfront homes , all were acuired by word of mouth, we dont advertise.
    Knock on wood, we have never been burned by someone who owns 2-3 million dollar property.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

trouble here, i can smell it. when people think "leaf cleanup", they think of a little boy with a rake and some plastic bags. when you hand them a bill for $3,000.....crap is gonna hit the fan. let us know

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the others. You are in trouble. My opinion, you will learn a hard lesson with this. Its one thing to go without price on a $200 job, but when you get into bigger $$$ its very dangerous.

8. HOLLYWOOD6973

HOLLYWOOD6973 LawnSite Member
    from PGH PA

For are weekly customers we charge $120 hr. for a four man crew ($30.00 A man hr.)
    Non customs $ 150 hr. 1/2 min. The going price around here is 30-40 hr.
    Not giving them an estimate I think $ 500-600 would be fair.

Lets us know what you ended up charging. payup

9. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

$hit, i did two (1 hour each) cleanups for two of my regulars that cost them $125 each. They had a fit when they saw the bill. They started calling and saying that we were great for everything else, but the cleanup is a little high.

My wife had to spend 15 min with each to explain why the fall cleanups cost more.

10. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

hate to say it but tarping is kiling you. If I were to do the job, by myself, I guarantee you I would be done way before you and that is also taking the leaves offsite. For one, I have a 32 bushel bagger on a Z which is equal to 300 gals. or about 6 large trash bags. Remind you that these leaves are compacted an unbelievable amount and weigh approximately 400lbs. per bag when I'm through. Also, I have a dump similar to you but since my leaves are so compressed, my 30 yd. dump will hold in the neighborhood of 6000 lbs which takes 4-5 days to fill up. With that said, I doubt that I could give you a good price but you must consider that if I were there I would charge and tell them upfront $60/hr. no matter if I'm blowing, mowing, loading and be done before you.