1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"How much are you charging her to mow her lawn?"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mbricker, May 8, 2004.

1. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I get these type questions from neighbors, or sometimes somebody driving by, who actually stops and asks. I think they want to know if I am "too high" before actually getting me to give an estimate on their own property.

And I hate these questions, and I always want to get right in their face, and say "None of your damn business!" but wouldn't want it to get back to my customer that I was rude to the neighbor. Who might be my customer's good friend.

So I finally thought of a reply: "Why? Are you getting ready to write me the check?"
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Instead you could simply say. "Well how about I take a look at YOUR lawn and tell you how much I would charge YOU for YOUR lawn."
  3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I always say I can't recall, I have well over 100 clients, and their all on the computer at home.
  4. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Have tried that reply, also other reasonable sounding polite replies. Get the same question again usually--"No, just tell me what you are charging for THIS lawn."

Oh, last year one very elderly lady asked me what I was charging for the lawn I was working on, and I popped off "Why, are you planning to bid against me?" But it went over her head.

In general, I don't want any more business right now, I'm too busy to deal with PITA's, and being a smart-ass just comes so naturally to me.
  5. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

couldn't you reply " I don't disclose any information about my customers to anyone, sorry". "but you are more then welcome to ask them personally" "if there is anything else I can help you with let me know".
  6. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want my customers to tell ANYONE what i charge them. It's between me and them, not anyone else. When i get a call to look at another yard, this will allow me to hike up my rates on the next person without someone spewing out, "But you only charge so an so $30." Me thinking, "You're not htat person are you?" So it makes life simpler for me doing it like this.
  7. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

I'm with you, Flipperneck. That is the reply that works best for me.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I always tell them that I can't remember the price off hand, and then I slip them a business card
  9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with FLIPPERNECK too. I tell them that all my dealings with clients are strictly confidential. Each job varies do to many factors. I will be glad to give you an estimate on your specific need.

10. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i had a guy I bid at $30 bucks. STEEP HILL IN BACK. He pops off "well i like the price you quoted my sister...SAME HOOD. $25 bucks. I say well i like the H2 at the price of the new Saturn ION, but it doesnt mean i will get it at that. I finally bent just to take on his job, because i have 8 others in the same hood. Turns out to be a great customer, and pays on-time, and compliments on a job well done. It turns out his lawn actaully was easier than i had planned, so we both came out ahead.