How much are you Millionaire LCOs willing to pay for a mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coolluv, Oct 14, 2008.

1. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

I was reading on another thread about price increases on mowers for 2009. Exmark is raising the price of the Navigator to $13700. Think about that. Nearly $14000 for a mower. Where does it end. Whats the breaking point for you guys. $20000 $25000. How many $30 lawns do you have to cut to pay for that machine.

It has been mentioned that because of the rising commodity prices due to global demand, that it will cost $2000 more to build that mower. $2000, are kidding me. There is no way in he** its costing Exmark $2000 more to build that mower. And if you believe that then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I will sell to you. Car manufactures did not raise there cars $2000, and they have 1000 times more metal and plastic and everything else in them.

Its simply greed, and with the attitude that some of you LCOs have, its no wonder. Hey, its only money right. $12000 for a ride on blower! Are you kidding me. Look I'm not just busting on Exmark or Hurricane but all mower manufacturers. If people are willing to pay that for a machine, hey more power to them. A fool and his money are soon departed as they say. I would love to see what it actually cost these guys to manufacture that mower.

I don't mind spending good money for a quality product, but come on man, this is getting out of hand. With lawn prices staying stagnant and every hillbilly and illegal Mexican with a mower out there, where does it end.

Let me know what you other guys think. Maybe its just me. Nearly $14000 for a mower in my mind is just amazing.

Dave...

2. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd never pay 14,000 for a mower. ever. The most I'm willing to spend on a mower would be 8-8500. But again I'm no millionaire lco ^^

3. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure that if they didn't think they could sell them, they would not make them. I don't have enough yards to justify that kind of purchase.

4. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

I would estimate no more than $3500 to produce

atb Phil

5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

It will be fine for companies like Exmark and Hurricane to charge us up the a$$ until a low cost (aka imported) substitute enters the market. Then they will complain that we all buy "cheap" imported cr@p instead of quality American-made.

These prices are exactly the opportunity needed by kubota, kawasaki, honda, or one of the many other quality manufacturers to introduce a low cost alternative, and grab huge market share.

6. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

Exactly the reason we decided to keep our mowers an extra two years. I hate working on them, but it will work out in the long run.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'm no millionaire, but I did pay $14.2K for my Gravely 272z turbo diesel in 2003. And $12.5K for my GH in 2004. Most mowers have a suggested retail price thats usually higher than for what they really sell for. You can bargain the price down and sometimes there's a good financing deal that helps out.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are a whole lot of commercial riders available for well under $14,000. If you shop around you can still find a 25 HP 60" ZTR for under $8,000. It's also not a new thing for there to be $14,000 plus mowers. Dixie and Walker have been building and selling them for years. If you want the "best" then you'll pay for it. You can't get a new Rolls Royce for $14,000 but you can darn shure pick up a Chevy Cobalt for that.

9. MTR999

MTR999 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

shop used...end of game, plenty plenty of used, quality mowers available, people are in and out of business, as usual as getting in heavy by spring and having exodus by the scorching heat of september or mid august! Who is dumb enough to buy new? mowing grass is recycle business.

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I would imagine that the $13K price you heard of is MSRP. I would never pay full retail or MSRP for a mower.

Have you ever mowed with a Walker or a Navigator? IMHO they give the best finished cut in the business. The stripe is beautiful as well.

My customers (some anyway) are willing to pay more for the better cut and bagging, so you can make up the higher cost of the mower in higher per cut charges.

Also Navigators and Walkers are highly maneuverable and make for very little or no trim cutting at all.

You need to have a place to dump all the clippings you will gather throughout the day though. Fortunately you can pass that cost along to your customer as well.

These mowers cut that well.

They are not big field mowers though.