How Much Are You Paying For Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith, Jul 17, 2000.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I currently have a Kees ZTMax 61&quot;, Grasshopper 52&quot;, and Exmark Metro 36&quot; that I use on a regular basis. I have been paying about $6.40 locally for each 21&quot; blade I use on the Kees (Scag 21&quot; blade). J Thomas has them as low as $5.99 for the same blade but you will have to pay shipping. With this mower I can use Scag, Bobcat or Dixie Chopper blades, but the Dixie blades are only 20 1/2&quot; and tend to leave a little grass when the tips get a little wear. The Grasshopper blades I pay from $5.47 (J.Thomas)to about $6.90 (locally). However I checked at a couple of places recently that wanted between $13.50-$18.00 for the Scag 21&quot; (3434) blades and they ain't oem, they are aftermarket, just like the $6.oo blade.<p>It got me wondering, I pay about $20-22 for a new set of blades with tax. I talked to another local LCO that told me he pays almost $50 for a set for his Great Dane. What do blades cost you? Maybe this is why some guys try to get so much from one set of blades.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Keith

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I buy mine thru J Thomas, for 18 blades the shipping was something like a buck a blade, it was still cheaper than buying locally or from the dealer. The blades seem the same as oem also.<p>Bill

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Hi lift: $9.00<br>Gator: $11.00<p>Both for my 52&quot; Great Dane

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

21&quot; grasshopper blades at Lesco- $8.40

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

For my Walker 48&quot; ghs unit, last year $12.00 ea this year $15.00ea, OEM blades. Blades for my 62&quot;deck are also $15.00 ea.OEM...

6. cabrone

cabrone LawnSite Member

try russo's at 1-877-dorusso, ask for john. gators for my 52&quot; scag were $6.87 each. standard blades were also the cheapest around.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The last time I bought blades they were high lifts for my 50&quot; Gravely from Landscaper Supply @ 7.49 each. These have got to be the hardest blades I have ever seen in my life. I put the factory blades back on my Exmark about 2 weeks before I put the new blades on my Gravely and the Exmark blades are almost worn out now. The blades I put on the Gravely do not show any wear at all.