How much are you paying to have the grass cut?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by virginia, Sep 7, 2006.

1. virginia

virginia LawnSite Member

I am getting quote to have my grass cut. Got a flyer and called the lco. It's a 5000 sq. feet flat rectangular lot, no fence and no side walk.

I am prepared to pay $35-40. Is that a fair price? The lco came by today and quoted me $50. I think that's a little high but he said that's the price for end of the season because it probably only need to be cut every 2 weeks. I told him I will think about it and he asked if I think that's too high. He said next Spring he can give me a price break once we need to cut weekly.

Is that fair or should I keep looking?

2. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

Is there a house on the lot? If so, how many sf?

3. virginia

virginia LawnSite Member

You mean the sq. feet of the house? The house is about 3000 sq. feet.

The lot itself is 7500 sq. feet. The house is on the lot of course, leaving about 5000 sq. feet of lawn. (minus driveway etc.)

I know it's 5000 sq. feet of lawn because I have another company doing fertilizing. They based their price on 5000 sq. feet.

4. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

Wow! That's a lot of house on a small lot! Sounds a tad steep. See if you can get some neighbors to use the same guy and get a discount.

5. virginia

virginia LawnSite Member

haha that's typical new construction :)

This LCO already has 5 other customers in the same subdivision. So my house is already in his route.

I will start getting more quotes. :dizzy:

6. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

virginia,
    I was just throwing ideas out there. I'm not a lawn care pro. His price might be fair. Always good to get more quotes, and references!

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

virginia, you may want to do a search on here using the words "cheap customer" "PITA customer" and see what you come up with. IF the cut is every 2 weeks, that's like $25/week really.

8. virginia

virginia LawnSite Member

Well Newz7151 you don't have to be rude.

I never asked him to do it every 2 weeks. He is the one who said it should be cut every 2 weeks for the rest of the season. I asked him to quote a price for a weekly cut.

I'm just asking if this is fair and want to hear from professional lco. Should every customer jump on it regardless of price?

9. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

yes it is fair. especially if he is a professional! just to let you know, i guarantee you can find someone cheaper!

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

If you think it's too steep then by all means keep shopping. But as a professional lawn care company, it does'nt matter if he has 10 homes in your sub. at this point of the season the routes are already established and everything is going like clock work and to through a new lawn into the mix can sometimes make things worse. And it being a two week deal, shame on him because the grass is growing like crazy again (well at least around here) and there is more "clean up time" involved.