1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much are you spending on seed?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kemmer, Mar 19, 2006.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

I usually use Lebanon ProScape University Select Mix. It used to run me $89 per 50# bag. Now its $102 per bag, just wondering how this compares to other people prices and what you use.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

All we run is lesco we have good results it will run 1.09 a # and a few more cents here and there.
  3. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

what seed is that?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We seed with tri gold mostly it is fescue,they have a transition blend with a little rye and team mates.
  5. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

yes, because of THIS site I looked up my local Lesco dealer and the grass prices were really good! Just go to www.lesco.com and check out your nearest dealer.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, my regular dealer hired some new salesman who thought he'd be cute and play with me on the prices this year (of course, used the price of fuel as justification).

I walked out.

Home depot: 85% germ. Ky Gold, 55 dollars for 50 pounds.
    Lime: 3.50 for 40 pounds.
    Super 16-4-8 fertilizer: 5 dollars for 33 pounds. (6 bags / acre nominal, 8 recommended, 10 max!)

You want serious effect?
    I'll core aerate and drop 100 pounds of Ky Gold, 400 pounds of lime and 330 pounds of fert on an acre lot and I guarantee as good a lawn as the higher priced ones can give.

2k sq. feet? Omg we're talking like 10 or 20 pounds of seed, a bag of lime and a bag of fert, aerate it and charge 100 bucks.
    Once the grass is established, treat for weeds with a selective killer in a backpack sprayer.
  7. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

our list prices for certified oregon seeds that are 99% pure run form 1.59 per lb - 2.09 per lb in 100# lots but these are the very best of perennial ryes, fescuse and blues,. We occassionally us epoa trivialis for heavily shaded areas that runs about 5.00 per lb. We get a substantial discount however, buying 1,000-2,000 lbs every year