How much area can you cover w/yard of mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by billsfanvt, Mar 15, 2006.

1. billsfanvt

billsfanvt LawnSite Member

Generally how much area can you cover with one yard of much?(With only going one inch down) I followed a link from this website to a convertion table, but im questioning the answer. I measured a potential job today and infront of the building there is a 100 foot long bed and 5 feet from the wall, (it is also has a lot of spiria shrubs in it.) I want to put an inch of mulch on top. The chart said almost 19 yards(no way) Please send help thankyou

2. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

why do you want to apply it a 1'', you will be weeding that garden once a week at that depth, i would apply it at 3'' for proper coverage, at 3'' one yard of mulch will cover around 108sq ft...

3. billsfanvt

billsfanvt LawnSite Member

The reason I was going to apply only 1 inch of mulch is because the bed has been there for many years and i'm just adding to the top. Is that logic right or am i wrong?

4. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

then you will prob. need alittle under 3yds for the job if its 500 sq ft 100x50

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

100 feet long,5 feet wide, and 1 inch deep,42 cubic feet of mulch, or 14 bags of mulch needed at 3 cu. ft per bag,or 2 cubic yards of mulch needed.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

one cubic yard will fill a cube that measures one yard in height by one yard in length by one yard in depth.

Or, put another way will fill a cube three feet by three feet by three feet.

Or, put another way will cover a cube thirty six inches by thirty six inches by thirty six inches.

7. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

your right, i always give myself extra to level of the area, theres nothing worse then seeing the garden after your done and it looks uneven

8. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

1 yard covers a little over 400 Sq Ft @1 inch thick

9. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I get 324 sq. ft. per yard @ 1" depth.

10. FSully

FSully LawnSite Member

19 would have been correct if you were putting 1 foot thick. You need to watch some of those mulch calculators......a setting for inches and a setting for feet.