How much area do you cover?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Feb 28, 2012.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd love to work in a tighter area but I live 15 miles from where good work starts and it spreads to as far as 25 miles in distance. I like living in the country but the travel is a downside. In about 5-10 years its likely to be solid population from me to the city though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I have a 30 mile one way trip I drive to do my routes.
    It's very frustrating when you get to your first stop and realize you forgot the mower keys. LOL. Nothing like rigging it to start until I could get to a dealer to get a key. I now keep spares all over the place in my truck. Posted via Mobile Device

3. edensgate7

edensgate7 LawnSite Member

15 mile square area but I live at the south end of the square so not centralized like I want to be

4. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Around 30 square miles.

5. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

All of my accounts are either a few miles from my house or in one area about 12 miles away. Many of my accounts are clustered in just a few neighborhoods. I will only accept new clients if they are located in developments I already service or directly on the way to another customer or my shop/house. I pretty much travel the same direction every day. Having a tight route keeps the gas costs down.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. edensgate7

edensgate7 LawnSite Member

good choice lawn-king. 90% of my accounts are in the same proximities to my house as to what yours are and I run my business the same way as you stated. I would love to trade away that 10% but they are part of the original few I started the business with 15 yrs ago:)

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Over 150 of my accounts are in my home town so with in 3 to 5 miles the remaining 40 of them are in 3 surrounding towns so about 10 miles radius for the entire list. Couldn't survive here if it was spread out the costs are so much higher here even with those advantages it has very tight margins.

8. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I try to keep everything within a 15 mile radius.

9. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd love to keep it that tight but there is no population that close.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

all of mine are within 10 miles of my house except for one. it is about 20 miles away and they go to my church so i cut it for them. they do pay me a bit extra for the gas used driving there.