1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much ballast?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Remsen1, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How much ballast should I have in the back of my truck? I have a 95 Dodge 1500, short box with plow package (heavy springs in the front, raising the plow lowers the front of the truck by about 1-1.5") The plow is a Meyer's, not sure of the weight and I haven't measured the width, but I think it is 7.5' or 8'. My idea was to line the bottom of the bed with cinder blocks, this would give me weight and a flat surface so that I could still put things in the back. If done right, they wouldn't shift around to much. I have a bedliner so scratching isn't a concern. Anything else that I should keep in mind?
  2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

You got the ballast.
    Meyer's plows make great ballast.
    Now you just need a plow.
  3. frogman

frogman LawnSite Member

I've got a 2500 (long bed) and, at a minimum, keep 5 bags of salt (400 lbs) and a spreader (I think 125 lbs). No probs.
  4. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

Check out Fisher's new web site. They have a lot of tech info onhand. The ballast figure may be a little on the heavy side for you, since the Meyers blades are lighter.

[Edited by DaveO on 01-12-2001 at 12:42 PM]
  5. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Hey John,

Stop slamm'n the best plows and pumps made -- MEYER!

I've only plowed storms less than 3" so far. lol
  6. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

You're right.
    Best danged ballast on the market today.
  7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

This plow came with the truck. I'm not exactly happy with the Meyers plow either, but I've made a few adjustments to it and it seem to be working good now. It is giving me a good idea of what to look for when I buy a new plow.
  8. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

Heres another idea of what to look for when buying a new plow.

9. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

The amount of ballast will depend on where in the box you put it: 1000lbs if you put it up front, 500lbs. if at the tailgate. Split it and put 700-800lbs. over the axle.

Granted, Meyer isn't my favorite brand either, but some of these guys must have difficulty reading sales reports because Meyer has sold more plows than anybody else except Western.
  10. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Just because they sell alot of plows doesnt make them the best.However I will saythat their plows 8' and up are alot better built than the 7.5' and down.