How Much Bandwidth Does Your Site Use?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Jake Wolf, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Jake Wolf

Jake Wolf LawnSite Member
    from NYC, NY

I'm trying to figure out hosting options for a few friends and am wondering how many mb/gb the average site uses a month in bandwidth and how much disc space the average site takes up.

Thanks in advance for sharing your site's stats!

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Data Transfer Usage (MB)
    Monthly limit: 200,000
    Last month: 0.0
    This month: 268.8
    Forecast: 1,075.3

Disk Space Usage (MB)
    0% 100%
    Total: 5,000.0
    Used: 46.2
    Extra: 0.0
    Available: 4,953.8

3. Jake Wolf

from NYC, NY

Thanks Raven,

Who do you use for hosting? I noticed the counter on your site counts every page load which leads to inflated visitor numbers. Take a look at google.com/analytics. Their stats package is free and shows you exactly how many people visited, where they came from, how many returned in the future etc.

4. Raven386

from CT

Thanks! i was looking for something else. its a real pain in the butt that it does that. i use Yahoo. $9.56/month.

5. Raven386

from CT

i just added the tracker to the site, could someone please visit it so i can see if it works? Thanks!

6. Jake Wolf

from NYC, NY

Analytics isn't updated instantly, but as long as it shows up as "receiving data" in the admin panel stats are coming in. If you want something instant without all the functions of analytics check out sitemeter.com. You can make that invisible as well.

7. Raven386

from CT

thanks for the link! it works a lot better than that other one i got. seems all my visits were from Lawnsite.com! only 14 direct, today. Thanks again.

8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Last fall, I think I was looking at 3.5 gigabytes getting transferred in a month.

My web host guy set up a new stats thing, and I have not checked that since, but do know that my page views have gone up from 300 page views per day, to about 700 page views per day average. So I'm guessing that my site should be transferring about 7 gigabytes of data per month right now.

9. Jake Wolf

from NYC, NY

You definitely have a lot of great content and pictures on your site MDVADEN. How do you get traffic to your site? Does it convert into actual jobs?

10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Over the past few years, I distributed my websitel link to a lot of places on the internet. In time, the traffic picked up. Right now, I get good pocket change off ads in the advice pages.

As far as work, it did well in Portland, and only so-so in southern Oregon where people search less on the internet. When we move north this year, I will get plenty of work. But I have gotten work every month from the site here. So it more than pays for itself. It takes some advice page content to really remain linked in from the internet.

You can look up "link popularity checker" - find one thats free and works right as you land on the page. Enter my web address, yours, or someone elses. and it will show you who links to the site. I think I'll start a thread on that one, too.