1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How much can a backhoe bucket lift.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Venturewest, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I know some of you commercial landscapers will know this. I am starting to sell some bigger water features that require placement of larger boulders. I would like to use up to 1500# rock on the liner.

I have limited experience with backhoes. Is a typical backhoe capable of lifting 1000# or 1500# with the digging bucket, or am I going to have to rent a crane?
    Or do you have any other ideas?

If you are really familiar with backhoes and know how much roughly differant models can lift, I would be very greatful.

Thanks for your help.

2. copeblk

copeblk LawnSite Member

just get a 12-16000# excavator with thumb. will be a lot easier to use in setting boulders.

3. Venturewest

So with a 12000 to 16000# excavator how heavy a boulder can I expect to lift?
    Also I have seen the thumbs and they seem pretty handy for smaller boulders or ones that scarring wont be an issue with. How large a diameter boulder can you grab with a thumb on a bucket that would fit the above mentioned excavators.

4. copeblk

copeblk LawnSite Member

over the blade should have no problem with 1500 #. as far as how big depends on bucket and thumb but a good guess would be 24". how much experince do you have with an excavator??? if in doubt just get a bigger one. it will still be cheaper than a crane... and they can't dig. if your worried about scratching the rocks use a sling... in my opinion that takes to long. if your good you shouldn't(won't) scratch them. also chicks dig scars.

5. copeblk

copeblk LawnSite Member

6. Venturewest

Thanks for the help. I checked out that thread. Looks like you do some serious work with that excavator. I have never even run one. I guess I will be getting some experience with one soon. It would be a good skill to have.