1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how much can a tow? s10 zr2

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DandG, Mar 9, 2007.

1. DandG

DandG LawnSite Member

hey im wondering if my truck will struggle towing a 18 foot trailer cubcadet rider, 36 in wright velke, and 48 in yazoo walk behind. Just wondering what you guess think
  2. elmo1537

elmo1537 LawnSite Member

Look at the gvwr for you truck. Bet it wont come close to what you want to tow. Do it right and get a full size truck. The S10 is not rated to pull that kind of load much less stop that kind of load.
  3. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I use an S10, pull a 12 ft. single axle trailer with 1 Z and the normal 2cycle stuff and push mower.......that's about all an S10 can handle, both realistically and by manufacturer's rating. I put brakes on my trailer because without them it was just too hard on the truck's brakes.
  4. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 93 sonoma and towed a 16ft dual axel trailer with it for about 1 month, then i got a full size. I had breaks on the trailer and that helped with stoping, but i would not even think about pulling anything like that with it again... other than around the shop.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. Check the owners manual and see what it says. Is it a V-6? Auto or stick? How many miles? Right off the top of my head I'm guessing that the trailer alone weighs close to 2,000 pounds. Add in 500 for the rider, 550 each for the other two mowers and then an additional 300 to 400 pounds for trimmers, blowers gas etc... Oh, and don't forget to add your own weight, say 150 pounds (wild, wild guess, that's what I weigh). You're up to a towed weight of 4200 pounds.
  6. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, Well, I have a 2000 Chevy S-10 with the 2.2L 4 banger stick.

I tow a 5x10, with a cub rider, Ferris 36" wb, and all handhelds. This tows fine.
  7. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

I have a 2000 Silverado with the 4.8 liter V8... I pull a 6 1/2X12 single axle with a JD 797. It is fine on flat ground and stopping but hills kill it! I would not try what you are talking about... just my .02
  8. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to make money tow with what you have instead of buying what you dont.
  9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

NO WAY NO HOW. You will end up killing somebody with that setup. We had a ZR2 Blazer and the truck was fantastic but with it being taller with larger tires made it the most unstable vehical I have ever driven. Also the larger tires works the brake system harder then on top of that you want to tow an 18' trailer full of heavy equipment. If I am not mistaken the GVWR is around 5,000 to 5,500 pounds. Another thing you need to worry about is the transmission. If its the automatic it is the 4L60E which WILL NOT hold up to heavy towing for very long.

For your safety and those around you I sure hope you dont decide to use that truck to tow that load with.
  10. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

I had a 2 wheel drive s10 4.3l with the extended cab. It was rated at the highest towing capacity for an S10 in 1999. I towed a 16 tandem axle trailer with a 48 inch walkbehind. My transmissoin went out after a year. Trust me get a bigger truck the 4l60e just cant handle more than 2000 pounds on a regular basis. S10's are meant to haul bass boats and jet skis to the lake on the weekend. You really need a larger truck, most ideally a 3/4 ton for regular towing though a half ton will suffice. I learned the hard way dont make my mistake.