How much can I haul?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redoak77, Sep 20, 2004.

1. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright, heres the deal I got an S-10 in may thinking i would be haulin a smalll 5x8 trailer this year. Well, things have really taken of and i am often using my friends 7x14 car hauling trailer to tote my our mowers around. I know it probably isnt the best thing for my truck(since i dont have brake hook up yet) What i was wondering was hpow much can i pull with my S-10 when i do get a brake hook up? I have a V- 2-wheel drive and a hitch on the bumper that says i can pull 3500lbs. I want to get a big trailer but i just dont know how big?
    :help:

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

That is probablyh a dual axle trailer rated at 7000# - too big for your tonka truck

3. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't get a big trailer - get a big truck. Hauling a trailer that is going to overload your truck could be a real safety concern for you and other people on the road.

4. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

I know i have a small truck but i cant part with it (long story) I guess my final question is can i pull a utility 6x12?

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Your capacity should be listed on the tag inside your drivers side door jam. It will state your gross towing capacity. I would say a 12 footer with one commercial mower and various trimmers & blowers and such would be your limit with that truck. If things are taking off, better get a bigger truck or u will regret it.

6. midtnstone

midtnstone LawnSite Member
    from mid tn

my concern would not be if it can pull it but rather can i stop it when i need to. i agree with everybody else get a bigger truck

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Your truck may be able to pull that weight now, but it's going to tear your engine up. I'm sure it's not any bigger than a V-6 if it is in an S-10 pick-up.

I would definately suggest a full size truck with a V-8 engine and maybe even four wheel drive.

8. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

well u can not for long u prob have to give in and get a bigger truck

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You'll be wearing out your transmission before you tear anything else up. Also, this bumper hitch you have is no match for a car hauling trailer. With everything you describe here, you have a recipe for disaster.