How much $ can i make?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JMiller08, Sep 11, 2008.

1. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

Heres my story. I am just turning 18, just graduated. I started helping out on small landscape projects and caught the bug. I picked up one lawn and with a few small jobs and that one accoun i was able to buy a brand new echo backpak blower stick edger and trimmer. All echo. I used my 21 in pusher. Loaded in and out of my pickup. I want to go big time this spring. I have talked to my local small business planning group and have everything planned out. I am purchasing a used w/b and trailer this winter. Will be doing lots of advertising. Now heres the question, how much money can i possibly make my first year with hopefully a packed schedule. Most lawns in my town are from .25 to .5 of an acre, mow trim edge blow. 5 day work week. How much can i make. Please give me an idea guys you are the pros! Thanks for reading i know it was long.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

millions.....

3. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Figure out your minimum price and how many weekly lawns your goal is for the first year. Multiply!

4. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

2 million with one helper seems legit.

5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Here are the assumptions

Mow solo
    15 lawns per day = 60 lawns per week
    Average price $35 per lawn
    Average overhead $5 per lawn
    30 week season

60 lawns x (35-5) = $1800 per week
    $1800 x 30 weeks = $54,000

The things that are going to decrease your profit this year are the fact that you are not starting out with a full customer load and the revenue will not be there. You will also spend more money on advertising and on equipment. You will end up with significantly less than the $54,000 projected.

6. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

hmmm? 15 per day would be 75 lawns my friend.

$5 per lawn overhead? Does that include trimmer, mower, truck, trailer, fuel, blower, trimmer string etc?

30 weeks? We're not in Oklahoma, over here I think we get about 28-30 if there is a perfect season and weather, in reality maybe 24-28.

My guess, starting out with one lawn, working solo. You may be able to Net $5-8k next season. Given that you pick up some more customers.

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

a packed schedule is'nt realistic for your first year.

8. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

dude no way 2 know what you might or might not make ............................

9. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

You are right, it should be 75. Adjust numbers accordingly.

I did however account for the shorter mowing season. I do 36 weeks down here although I admit that we are pushing the envelope a little. When I am figuring my yearly numbers, I figure on 30 full weeks because the first and last few weeks get a little sparse.

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Everyone's different, but my overhead runs about $13 per lawn, which includes depriciation on equipment that everyone seems to forget about.

I would like to know how to pick up 75 lawns in one season, let alone your first when you are starting from basically scratch. Everyone I talk to is lucky to get 15 per year, spending thousands on advertising.