How much can one man profit?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawn guy 300, Sep 28, 2010.

1. JBlawn

JBlawn LawnSite Member
    from ohio

dont know, if its a 30 mile radius thats not a really tight rought for 50 lawns. I do all my mowing (43 lawns) in 3 days, in the spring maybe 3.5 days. then I do all my fert myself and have a 2 man crew do all the maintainace, witch I do help on fridays and weekends with that.

2. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

i'd be happy to do 25 yards a week solo...50 a week you would need 2 or 3 people

3. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

One very important thing that has not been mentioned is it is very expensive to develop a tight route. You have to use a direct mailing of several thousand pieces and target the neighborhoods you want to cut in. You will only get a 1-2% response and only about a third of those will become accounts. A ad in the local newspaper while cheap will bring calls from all over.

The other option is hand delivering flyer's which will take several days of your time to hand out several thousand. Keep this in mind.

4. betterlawnsandlandscaping

betterlawnsandlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

That is exactly what I did and it was not as expensive as you think. All of my customers are on the same side of town and they are all within a few minutes of each other. It makes mowing a piece of cake. The response is determined by how nice the mail piece looks. If it looks like chit.... you will get a chitty response.:weightlifter:

5. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

It's doable. You got to figure that he will have some stops where he does multiple lawns. Location will be a big factor....could have a lot of drive time.

I'm solo and the problem I run into is rain days, and extra stuff (weed apps, fertilization, pruning, pine straw, etc)

6. Texas Lawn

Texas Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I guess im confused. Im assuming you dont already have 50 customers, or you would know. If you do have 50 you should know costs and what you are capable of. You should also know if 50 is realistic.

If you dont have 50 how do you plan to get there? Are you not doing any yards to use as a frame of reference. Are you just throwing out a "what if" and seeing how much you could make?

7. lawn guy 300

lawn guy 300 LawnSite Member

I'm not in business now. I'm just researching for a future indeavore.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. lawn guy 300

how many postcards did you send out and what did you spend on them? How many accounts did they yeild? Did you send them all out at once to different addresses or did you reppeatedly send them to a smaller group? Thanks for you info.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. lawn guy 300

thanks for your advice man. Of coarse I'd have to split that 30 mile radius up throughout the week so that each day I'm just driving around about a 10 mile radius. Glad to hear other people are doing it and it works.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. betterlawnsandlandscaping

betterlawnsandlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Sent you a pm