Lawn Care Forum banner

How much can this truck pull?

16K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  AWJ Services 
#1 ·
What would you guys say a truck like this can pull? It has the Dt466 with an Allison. Figure just using electric trailer brakes. How big of an excavator would you pull behind it?

Thanks to RJ for finding it.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Plant

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Hood

See less See more
#2 ·
You're welcome bro, you owe me a spin if you get it. Can't speak on the lo pros or autos but my 87 with the 466 will pull 5 yards of dirt and 10k on a trailer without noticing it. Its pretty amazing. Like when people say they pull their skid with their 2500 HD and "don't even feel it" they need to feel what its like to tow with an MDT. It will also stop it no problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
I like that truck but by the time I sell both of mine it will probably be gone(and it doesn't have fold down sides :nono:). And this one has to much weight on it, but I do like the size. I hauled the TK153 behind the 550 and it didn't seem out of control or any different than moving the Case.

#7 ·
I used to pull about 25000 lbs (trailer and ex) behind my S/A. It had air brakes, Cummins L10, and 10 spd road ranger. The pulling wasn't the issue, it was the stopping, which was fine in the dry but downright scary in the wet.

I'd say you'd be happy pulling any machine up to around 14000 lbs. Of course it depends on the trailer and how you load. Make sure you have a good brake controller like the Prodigy 2 as they make all the difference in the world.

#8 ·
I'm sure it could pull a 75 size ex , but I wouldn't want to do it all the time. 7.5 tons plus the weight of the trailer you are looking at 9-10+ tonne.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
Right now I have a 550 and a 33,000 gvw Kodiak. I know the 550(I think is limited to tow around 12,000 pound load) can't go more and the Kodiak would have no problem towing even a 75 and skid. I want to sell both and move up to something like the IH pictured for the 'little' truck and then get a tandem/baby tri dump.

The little truck would have to be able to move the excavator in for small day projects and do my small black dirt deliveries. I'm not so concerned about the go, more on the stop part. I also wonder if the Allison has a 'tow haul' like the super duty?

#11 ·
Right now I have a 550 and a 33,000 gvw Kodiak. I know the 550(I think is limited to tow around 12,000 pound load) can't go more and the Kodiak would have no problem towing even a 75 and skid. I want to sell both and move up to something like the IH pictured for the 'little' truck and then get a tandem/baby tri dump.

The little truck would have to be able to move the excavator in for small day projects and do my small black dirt deliveries. I'm not so concerned about the go, more on the stop part. I also wonder if the Allison has a 'tow haul' like the super duty?
I'm in the hunt for a small truck for exactly the same reasons. I already own the tandem but need another truck for the smaller jobs. I can't believe how low the 550's tow rating is!? Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up with the max payload?

#12 ·
I'm in the hunt for a small truck for exactly the same reasons. I already own the tandem but need another truck for the smaller jobs. I can't believe how low the 550's tow rating is!? Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up with the max payload?
I will clarify that- I just feel behind the 550 the limit was pulling a Takeuchi 153 which was just under 13,000 pounds plus the trailer. Not sure what the 'official' rating is?

#13 ·
I will clarify that- I just feel behind the 550 the limit was pulling a Takeuchi 153 which was just under 13,000 pounds plus the trailer. Not sure what the 'official' rating is?
I'd be tempted to stick with the 550 and then go for the tandem. What motor is in the 550? Have you done a fuel consumption/maintenance comparison between the two?
Aside from my tandem, I have an '01 F350 DRW (which is too small) with the old 7.3 because I fear the newer motors. My next go around I'm fairly certain I will be switching to a cabover for a small truck as they are generally: well built, maneuverable, fuel efficient, and dead easy to work on.

#15 ·
Agreed- Single axle could probably tow a 80 size + excavator without trouble.

We will move a TK TL130 and a Deere 35D on a tandem axle deckover that weighs 5k. Slow sometimes but not an issue.

Do you know what spec DT466 it is? Our smaller truck is a 190hp 466 that is turned up. Pretty strong truck for what it is.

#16 ·
I'd be tempted to stick with the 550 and then go for the tandem. What motor is in the 550? Have you done a fuel consumption/maintenance comparison between the two?
Aside from my tandem, I have an '01 F350 DRW (which is too small) with the old 7.3 because I fear the newer motors. My next go around I'm fairly certain I will be switching to a cabover for a small truck as they are generally: well built, maneuverable, fuel efficient, and dead easy to work on.
Mine has the 6.0 diesel and overall not complaining how it towed the TK. It's just if I move up and get the 75 size with a deckover trailer, I don't think that would be safe or good for the 550. From what I could find the fuel mileage would be very close. I also would like to be able to have an additional 6,000 pounds of carrying capacity.

Those cabovers really don't have a towing capacity?

Local guy here pulls a 120 sized hoe with a dt 466 single axle, has done for years legally.
I have the same truck and can load a tak 230 track loader and my 161 on ot and it tows great on the flay but is a dog in the hills, always gets there though...
Fortunately it's not hilly here. I also remember guys use to haul their TLB's around with single axles(and alot were gas with 5&2...).

#18 ·
I have an F 750 with a c-7 Cat and a 6 speed tranny. it's a 33.500 gvwr and I have it licensed for 45k. I can load 9 tons and be legal and can pull my B 26 sitting on my 10 ton deck over. I have electric brakes on the trailer,air on the truck. the Cat has a lot of power and torque. I can ramble down the hiway fully loaded and easily maintain 70 mph. braking isn't a problem either. I can haul my Tak 140 and a little less tonnage in the dump bed. I need to figure out how to upload some pics.

#25 ·
There are 2 ways too post pics. You can upload them to the lawnsite server or link them from an outside host like photo bucket.

There is a manage attachemnts yellow bar that is below the box you type in when posting messages. Click on it and another window will appear and you can upload your pic from your pc.

Or click on the little picture icon above and copy and past the url from where the photo is hosted. Cannot be hosted on your computer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.