1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much charge per yard of mulch

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by SCAGMAN411, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Ditto for the most part in MA. give or take...........
  2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

including edging and pruning (if it's reasonable) 90 to 105 a yard installed
  3. FTGUprprtyMaint

FTGUprprtyMaint LawnSite Member

$65 w/ installation $ 50 for delivery
  4. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

I charge 75 and bid 42.50 on 5 hundred yard deal and lost.
  5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

be greatfull............

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

65-80.00 per yard.
  7. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I start at 75.00 per Double Brown, Raise for color mulch.
  8. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 LawnSite Member

I found a good supplier who makes his own high quality mulch. He delivers 10 yds (minimum) or more and I have been able to make money at $50 or so a yard. Any more then that in this area and I don't get the job....
  9. Cart-Away

Cart-Away LawnSite Member

You also need to consider the delivery charges into your price. There are ways to get your mulch to the jobsite without delivery charges.
  10. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

you need to take into consideration the type of mulch you are using and the obstacles involved when you are spreading. Triple shred mulch spreads a little bit farther per yard, but also costs more. Then if its colored mulch you need to be careful that you aren't staining concrete while installing, not that it won't wash off, but people will complain. Also, spreading a yard of mulch in an open area is a lot faster than spreading it between 50 small plants and shrubs. Need to take into consideration how far you have to transport the mulch, and I'm not talking about from the supply yard. If you can get it in place just off the truck thats one thing, completely different though if you are taking it a wheel load at a time 300'!
    Point is, there really isn't a set price that everyone in a certain area can go by. It all depends on how efficiently you can get the job done, and how much you need to make to cover your expenses. Start with some small 5-7 yard jobs first, get a feel for it. If you bid them too low, then you aren't out that much on only a few hours work and now you know to bid a little bit higher on the next one.