how much clippings to get to 1 ton

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pugsly, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Pugsly

Pugsly LawnSite Member

my local transfer station charges $50 for 1 ton disposal. with a $50 min. fee. How mant acrea's you think i need before i get 1 ton of clippings? Anybody ever weight what an average 44 gallon rubbermaid can full weighs? how bout a 32 gallon rubbermaid can?

2. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I'm assuming you have a dump truck, otherwise it's a moot point. You should be able to gauge the tonnage approximately by the amount of fill you have in the dumper. Spring wet grass will obviously weigh more. A 45 gal rubbermaid filled with wet grass is approximately 100 lbs, substantially less for dry grass.

3. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Based on that price structure I don't think the volume of grass to make a ton matters. With this price structure it would be least cost effective to bring any amount less than 1 ton and most cost effective to dump much more than 1 ton. You need to use the the biggest dumper you have available so you pay the $50 minimum fee the least number of times. The more tons you can dump the more cost effective it will be.

4. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

Is there anywhere else you can dump besides your transfer station. I dump at a large landscapers store that sells mulch, stone, pavers, fertilizer, and so on. They charge $7 dollars for leaves/grass and $20 for brush/wood. These prices are for pick-ups and 1 ton dumps only.

5. Pugsly

Pugsly LawnSite Member

yeah after doing some research...I found a quit a few places. I founfd another transfer station that charges $46/ton but no minimum. so i bring in 200 lbs i get charged for 200 lbs. Another place charges $15/yard. still have 2 other places to call to get their prices.

I got the list from the Illinois EPA which emailed me a list of all the rigistared dump and compost sites in the state......106 pages worth!!!!!!!!! started calling places near me. Looks like i have about 4 differant places to choose from depending on where i am that day :)

6. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure on your location? House, rent, lot size,etc
    But around here that is GREEN GOLD!!!!
    I compost all my grass clipping, leafs, etc

7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't hold back any longer. Answer is 2000 pounds.

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

LMAO!! :laugh:

9. Pugsly

Pugsly LawnSite Member

ahhhhhh hhhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha:rolleyes:

10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

How much grass could a lawnmower cut... if a lawnmower could cut grass?? :confused: