How much coffee grounds in a compost pile??

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by CorkscrewWillow, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Then you missed the enternal links to Will Brintons discussion on his research on this.

3. Smallaxe

Yeah, I must have... What I got out of it was different sources saying completely opposite things... There was a plethora of internal sources and who knows if it is all speculation or not...

Is the Will Brinton discussion, definitive and scientific, with testing done throughout a decomposition process???

It really wouldn't take much more than a pile of coffee grounds and litmus paper to measure what happens over time... but try and find litmus paper anymore...

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Aparently he owns a lab called woods end research lab in Maine, I did not read the whole artical, I am not as knowledgeable in this area as some of you guys are so I don't have alot of input to add above what i have read.

5. Smallaxe

The thing is, Brinton says just the opposite of what the Rodale Institute says... They can't both be right and how can we know if either is correct?
    My guess that Rodale's evaluation is correct... Definitive research is what is needed...

So far I've personally had no problem with coffee grounds, even when the decompose in a pile b4 I work them into the soil and plant in that soil...

6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

It's a bit off topic but I was thinking of using coffee grounds for fairy ring top dressing.......?
    Posted via Mobile Device