How much damage am I really doing?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ALarsh, Jul 14, 2006.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

So get to a stop in my Thursday route and see that at this 3 account stop, all 3 were fertilized today. They left the flags in the lawns that said don't walk on until the next day. Well I don't have time to come back later so I pulled the flags out and cut it. How much damage am I really doing by cutting the lawns the same day they were fertilized?

2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

If it was just fertilizer and you weren't collecting the clippings, then no harm was done. If it was a combination product and / or you collected cllippings then you reduced the effectiveness of the application.

3. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

going to have to disagree slightly. If temperatures were hot, which they probably were, traffic over the fertilizer could cause burn on the grass. More than likely it won't be a problem, but if the fertilizer didn't get watered in soon, may have become a problem.

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Plus I would think the coating was damaged on a percentage of the fertilizer. It wont hurt anything, but some of the time release will be affected. I would imagine if they put a flag up, they might have used a granular pesticide (insects or weeds) too. I would grab one (flag) and call and ask.

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure it was done that day? I leave flags and a lot of them are still on there 5 days later.

6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

If...that's if the fertilizer/combo was applied the same day, it should have been watered immediately after cutting. You should also contact the applicator and tell them the situation. He/She will probably be happy to make sure your routes don't conflict again. Did you replace the flags?

7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Nope, took the flags and I threw them out. The flags said not to walk on the lawn until today (the 14th) so not much harm could have been done. Whenever I mow with the flags there I pull them and throw them out.

All 3 houses had the "We serviced your lawn today" bag on their door.

It rained this morning (cut them yesterday) so by chance they were watered.

It looked granular because I could see little fert. pebbles on the driveway and bare spots.

8. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Not to be a prick but what right did you have to interfere with a service that the customer paid for and expected results from?
    I'm sure the customer would be just thrilled that you may have cost him money and results.
    You should have came back the next day.
    And as far as tossing the flags? Why did you do that? In some states they have to be there by law, you could really cause a problem for the applicator.
    Show some respect.

9. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

if any customer has fertilizer put down b4 they know im coming they are interfering with his service ... i cut the grass as usual and dont care hopefully the fert wont do anything and they leave the company

10. dmoney

dmoney LawnSite Member

I agree you should not pull the flag out. That should be left to the owners. If we don't have any idea the lawn is being cut on that day.....how are we supposed to prevent it from happening?